Sunday, May 26, 2019

The Final Countdown

As I finish packing, I have been looking back on how much time has passed since I applied and got accepted to be a part of this program - the excitement, the planning, the shopping, the packing. So much has happened and so much of me has changed as I have prepared to embark on this journey, and now I am more ready than ever to step off that plane in Frankfurt and begin my study abroad experience in Germany. Even before I arrive, I would like to thank Dr. Wasser, Dr. Waltz, all of the staff at the AIB, and anyone who had anything to do with making this program possible.
In Bonn, I will be taking classes in two areas of health and medicine that are intriguing and fascinating. It’s an opportunity to learn things in the healthcare field outside of Biochemistry, Anatomy, etc. While those topics are essential to learn, they can become monotonous and tedious, which makes learning become dull. Classes like the History of Medicine and the Neurophysiology of Music are a refreshing perspective on things that we normally have to learn in our BIMS core classes. I can’t wait to take the information that we learn in these classes and be able to put it to use in a way that we may never have thought of before.
When I first applied to the program, I had so many expectations of what Germany was going to be like and how the German people would act, mostly based off of typical stereotypes. However, now, I have no clue what to expect, which is kind of scary but also incredibly exciting. This program is giving me the opportunity to experience an entirely new culture and a new world outside of the one that I have known my entire life. I have lived in Texas since I was born and I have never been outside of the United States, so this experience will be life-changing for me, and I am so ready to accept that change.
Once again, danke schön for this wonderful opportunity and I can’t wait to see all of you in Bonn!

No comments: