Friday, May 31, 2019

A Warm Welcome


             It’s hard to believe the first week of our adventure is already over. While it’s sad to think of it this way, the past five days have been filled with new friends, foods, and sights. I was fortunate to be graciously welcomed into my host family’s home, and they have made the transition to Germany easier. On the day they picked up Sammi and me from the AIB, they immediately began introducing us to Bonn. Since the family speaks Spanish, German, and English, there was a language barrier on our initial meeting, so I had trouble understanding why we were driving to a local hospital. Our host mom is an artist, as she had told us in a preliminary email, and she was eager to show us her work that was on display there. It was more striking than I imagined, and I think this was the best way our host mom could provide us insight into her life and personality. Her passion truly showed through, and viewing her art is one of my fondest memories so far. You can see us next to her art, and I included a picture of my favorite piece of hers. Our family- a mother, father, brother, and sister- then took Sammi and me to a special place in town that was at the top of the mountain. I didn’t know what was waiting at the peak, but the drive up was beautiful enough. My host father explained that the hotel atop the hill formerly was the government headquarters, and I didn’t realize its significance until we visited the Haus der Geschichte and saw the same yellow building was featured there! We then arrived at their house, and I was able to settle into my home for the next six weeks. My first day was eventful and a great start to my time here in Bonn.

               Even though we’ve only had two days of official classes, I greatly enjoy the material we cover in both of them, and they’re unlike any courses I’ve taken before. While I am in no way musically inclined, Neurophysiology of Music is intriguing, and the excursions relating to it are some of my most anticipated activities. I thought the House of History tour was quite interesting and a necessary introduction in order to be able to understand Germans’ way of thinking today. The most impactful part was a grand sign that read “Gedenke der brüder, die das schicksal unserer trennung tragen!” I took a picture of it, frankly because it looked important. Later when I researched the quotation, I learned it means “Remember the brothers who bear the fate of our separation.” This encompassed a critical part of the country’s past and serves as a reminder to remain united, which I found compelling. Before even beginning lectures, Dr. Wasser’s Hero Journey lecture challenged me to reflect on why I chose to enroll in this study abroad, what I hope to gain from it, and how to get the most out of the opportunity. I’m glad our program began with this presentation, as it inspired me to embrace every moment in the upcoming weeks.







No comments: