Friday, May 31, 2019

4 days in Bonn, 3 food truck visits, 2 biergarten drinks, and a very nice host family


It is Friday evening as I write this, and try my best to reflect on the experiences I've had so far during my stay in Bonn. What all has happened? Did I already forget about the important parts because I've been forgetting to write everything down and now those memories are forever lost to that Good Night?

Well hopefully not, because all the memories that I can still grasp at this point are good ones. This is an amazing place.

My first impressions of Bonn were made as I stumbled through the city with severe jetlag and my large roller luggage. Tall but not oppressive buildings with nice designs, busy but not chaotic traffic, and a clean, crisp temperature are all specific feelings I remember. It was quickly to the AIB that I would be frequenting visits to for the following days, where we blearily received bus passes and I was soon whisked away by my incredibly punctual host-father, Stefan (I was picked up while we were still signing for our passes, the first to leave and finally head towards a bed to sleep in). 

I wouldn't know this until later... but I didn't know to what
extent Bonn being the birthplace of Beethoven would have
started a mascot-ification of him in such a beautiful way.
These statues have been filling up one of the central
plazas for the entire week now with their cold, sly gaze.

I loved my host family right away. Both Stefan and Claudia were incredibly welcoming right from the start: kind and explanatory and helpful and everything I'd hope them to be. In the following days, I would have several conversations with my new host-mom after coming back home; we would talk all about everything I saw and ate and experienced and get to know each other better with so many jokes in between. I can already tell they will help to make Bonn an incredibly memorable visit for me.

Classes were just as fascinating. Not only do I get to learn about the basic principles and applications of music and its affect on people (and get COLLEGE CREDIT for it!), I also get to learn about the development, use, and misuse of medicine throughout thousands of years of human history.

And the fuel propelling me through all of this has been the food I've gotten to eat. I have definitely been treated well with what I've been able to eat here and I have no intention of stopping any time soon. It's been simple but amazing salmon and pasta dishes at my host home, the Himmel potato I bought from a food truck on the first day (based on a dish traditionally containing blood sausage, apple compote, and potato), the gelato place with a billion options, or somewhat enjoying a beer for the first time in my life near the banks of the Rhine. It's all been amazing and exactly what I need.

The beautiful city hall of Bonn (but more importantly, the
beautiful backdrop of the area where all the food trucks
meet to sell all their delicious foods, all vying for my
attention every lunch break)

A Peters Kölsch, enjoyed near the banks of the Rhine

So, all in all, an amazing week. I hope I can keep up my energy for the countless adventures ahead. 

Bonn (and the rest of Europe) are waiting.

No comments: