Thursday, May 30, 2019

My first few days

        My first few days here in Bonn have definitely been a learning experience. I was lucky to have gotten paired with a super sweet host mom, Gisene. She has been super helpful and accommodating! Slowly but surely, I am beginning to get to know my way around Bonn. I still don't know how to pronounce any of the bus stops, but all that matters is that I know where to get off and on. We had a small German lesson yesterday, and German words are veeeeery complicated. I'm having a hard time remembering some of the phrases but hopefully I'll be able to hold a conversation with someone in German before the end of the summer. After our German lesson, we had a lecture from Dr. Wasser before we were released for lunch. I had some chicken and fries from a food truck, followed by a strawberry smoothie. I have been bad about trying actual German food, but I still know have plenty of time to eat wurst before I leave. After lunch, we went to the history museum which was super interesting. Most of my knowledge of German history is of things that occurred before the second world war, so it was interesting getting to hear how the country recovered. After the museum, a lot of us went to a biergarden and I had my first true German beer. Unsurprisingly, I still do not like beer. I feel like I'll definitely continue to try beer here though, even though I have yet to actually enjoy it. My host mom made hotdogs and potato salad for dinner last night, which felt like a little piece of home, even though her potato salad was much better than the HEB brand.
            I was hoping to go to the Haribo store after class today, but its a local holiday, so unfortunately my Haribo adventure will have to wait until this weekend. I'm staying in Bonn this weekend, so I'm excited to get to explore my new home just a little bit more!
     

No comments: