Saturday, May 25, 2019

Germany, Here I Come!

Howdy! My name is Kristen Downey, and I am from Flower mound, Texas, which is just north of Dallas. Tomorrow, I leave to go to Germany. This past week has been filled with lots of shopping, packing, and frantically making sure I have everything I need for the next five weeks. I keep having this constant fear that I will forget something important.The nerves are starting to set in, but mostly, I am very excited to be able to get this opportunity to travel and study in a different country. I have never left the U.S., so  this will be an entirely new experience for me. I have been trying to memorize common German words and phrases that I may need to know, so hopefully I can introduce myself to my host family in German. I am looking forward to spending the next five weeks getting to know them and participating in their everyday activities. I am bringing them a few gifts from A&M and my hometown in Dallas, which includes a hand-painted texas-themed mug, an A&M postcard, and a Dallas skyline magnet.
I chose this program not only because it gives me an opportunity to graduate on time by taking six credit hours, but also because I want to experience a new culture and make lifelong friends. I believe it is important to experience a culture other than your own in order to gain a different perspective on life. I also want to become more independent, considering my mom still cooks my dinner most nights and usually does my laundry. Tomorrow will be difficult as I say my last goodbyes to my family, but I am so ready to begin this journey!

No comments: