Saturday, May 25, 2019

One more day (Plus several hours air time)

     For  past few months since I joined this program, the idea that I’m heading to Germany for six weeks hasn’t ever really stopped feeling surreal. I’ve been on trips before, but never one this long, this far away, or (for that matter) without one of my parents there. This feels like something completely different than the other times I’ve been away from home, and while I’m very excited, I’m also more nervous than I’d probably like to admit.
     Right now, I’m trying to ease any pre-trip jitters by playing the “What did I forget to pack?” Game, where try I guess beforehand what I’ve forgotten to pack. For me, personally,  the most common culprit is pajamas, but in this case they’re at the very top of my suitcase so I know they’re not escaping from me this time. It’s almost impossible to win the “What did I forget to pack?” Game, unless I guess something I’ve forgotten and then forget it again. Still, I believe that  forgetting to pack something is not only inevitable but also part of the spice of life.
     More than anything, beyond any nerves, I’m just incredibly grateful for this experience I’m about to have. This feels like maybe the closest thing I could experience to the big adventures that I would read about as a kid (and also as an adult) as well as an amazing opportunity to learn more about the world, about myself, and hopefully about the rest of you on this trip!
      (Fingers crossed that included in this learning are: how to actually get good sleep on over night plane ride. Seriously, I don’t even know how to sleep on regular planes, there may not be enough melatonin in the world.)

     Safe travels and I’ll see you all in Frankfurt!
     Melissa Roverse

No comments: