Sunday, May 26, 2019

Feels Like it Came Out of Nowhere

Despite months having passed since applying, and months of planning, it somehow seems like this journey is a blindside. Like the effect of staring at something for so long you don’t realize it’a moving towards you, it feels like this trip was far away until it was the day to fly out of the country. I was over the moon excited for the month leading up to this, but over the last week I began to feel trepidation beginning to build. My normal reaction to this is to procrastinate, which is exactly what I did, and that only builds my nerves up even more as I get stressed.

Needless to say, I eventually got my life in order and packed. It helped that I forgot to read a calendar and showed up to the airport a day early, having misinterpreted “boarding passes available today” as “boarding today”. Oh well. In hindsight, it was pretty funny, and no harm was done.

Now that the day is upon me, I’m excited. Nerves stemming from having no real idea what to expect, but the prospect of being able to broaden my horizons in such a radically new way is exciting. Leaving home never really bothers me, and 7 weeks is a cakewalk. I feel blessed beyond measure by the opportunity I have been afforded. I am grateful to the program directors for allowing me to come, and to my parents for helping me find a way to make it happen, and to my host family for being generous enough to open their doors to me. So many pieces fell in place to allow this to happen, and I will bear that in mind to remember the weight of the experience I’ve been allowed to have as the weeks to come unfold.

No comments: