Friday, June 02, 2017

Dreaming of Vienna

This past week, we traveled with the program to Vienna, Austria. Traveling with a group of 28 people proved to be slightly difficult at times, but overall it went smoothly. I found out that European airports have small grocery stores in them, which turns out are actually quite useful. When we arrived in Vienna, we checked into the hotel and went straight back out to go tour the city with Dr. Schnabel, a doctor from the time of the plague (a.k.a Dr. Wasser dressed up). The tour was absolutely amazing, and seeing the reactions of other people to Dr. Wasser’s outfit was pretty hysterical. At the end of our walking tour, we went to go see Freud’s house, which was really cool to see but I wish that his couch had been there. After, we ate at this restaurant called Gulashmuseum, which was absolutely amazing. It was my first time trying goulash, and I am definitely a fan. The next day, we toured the Josephinum, House of Music, and the Capuchin Crypt. My favorite part of this day was seeing the anatomical wax specimens in the Josephinum. They were absolutely amazing, and I wish we could have had more time to look at them, but I probably could have stayed all day if I had the opportunity to. The crypt was very interesting to see, but also very somber and ominous. The next morning was spent visiting the Narrenturm, which was originally a psychiatric ward but is now a pathological anatomical museum, which had some absolutely amazing specimens. Some of these specimens were extremely rare, and they were all extremely interesting to see. After lunch, we had a free afternoon. A group of us went to see St. Stephen’s Cathedral and then went to see the palace. We decided to spend 12 euros to tour the palace, and it was the best 12 euros I’ve spent on the trip. The palace’s silver collections and rooms were like something out of a fairytale. It was absolutely breathtaking. Later that night, we went to see a classical concert that was very nice. The next morning, we visited the Natural History Museum, and our time in Vienna came to an end.
Vienna has thus far been my favorite portion of my time spent in Europe. The palace was incredible, and I am so sad that I didn’t have time to go see the summer palace, but it’s on my list of things to do next time I find myself in Vienna. The wax models and pathological specimens were so interesting, and I wish I had more time to spend looking at those.
Now we’re in Prague, and I’m excited to see what this weekend holds. I hear this city is amazing, but it’s going to take a lot to top Vienna in my book.

Auf wiedersehen!!!
Alana Carrasco 


No comments: