Tuesday, June 20, 2017

stuck in the middle with you

week 3

Maybe not quite as long as the last one, but still. Here we go.

So like I said, we got back from Prague pretty late, but (because we’re amazing) we decided a few weeks back that, even though it was a three-day weekend, we would return on Sunday night. That being said, I didn’t emerge from my room until 12pm. The weather was gorgeous and I had a super delicious lunch with Maike and Noura before heading to Starbucks in town to meet up with Alana, Hailey, Gabe, Carter, and Kathryn. We didn’t get much work done, but we had a good time and managed to do some planning for our weekend. (I’ve noticed that we never get much work done when we’re around each other.) We headed back to our host homes for dinner around 5. Dinner was super delicious as usual but didn’t last nearly as long as it did on other nights (as in not lasting until 10pm) so I ended up heading to my room around 8pm and I’m gonna be honest, I was SO BORED. I thrive off business, which is why this trip is perfect, so for me to have that much alone time was pretty much an existential nightmare. I ended up doing a myriad of things—listening to music, pestering Carter, watching Netflix—and not getting any work done for my paper that was due on Saturday night. Safe to say, the night was uneventful and so we proceed to Tuesday.

Tuesday was a little rough. I ended up going to bed later than I wanted to (but what’s new, right?), and we had class basically from 8:45am-5pm. We started off the day with what we found out to be our last German lesson with Hilde. It really was a pity we couldn’t have anymore lessons with her. She’s a wonderful person and probably one of the most interactive teachers I’ve ever had. For our last lesson, we went over the family again, learned about some verb conjugations (the difference between to go by vehicle or to go by walk), and how to ask somebody on a date (thanks Hilde). We had a small break after German before NOM commenced. This lecture we learned about the acoustical properties of sound spaces, and I really enjoyed it. More on this later, but this class might be one of the most interesting I’ve ever taken. Next, we had a lunch break where we went to an Asian restaurant that served some really delicious ramen. Carter was a party pooper and didn’t join us and it’s always a little weird when we’re missing someone. We headed back for a two hour, 45 minute HOM lecture about healthcare. For someone who doesn’t know much about healthcare, the lecture was pretty interesting even though some things went over my head. I find it very intriguing how every country seems to have such different yet similar systems, and the soon-to-be engineer in me really wants to sit down, get all the facts, and come up with my own healthcare system. Will that actually happen? Probably not. After HOM, we headed back to our homes for dinner. My evening on this night was better than Monday night in that I wasn’t nearly as bored, but I still didn’t get enough work done to justify the less than preferred hours of sleep I got. I’m quite comfortable in my host home now and really enjoy spending time with Noura and Maike. We always find something to talk about, whether it’s my latest adventure or the differences between German or English culture or what Noura’s plans are for the night.

On Wednesday, I got up at a pretty decent time actually for our next HOM lecture before our daytrip to Cologne. During this lecture, we learned about sauna and what it means to the German and Finish peoples. I thought it was some pretty neat information and a surprisingly large part of their culture, and it made me VERY excited for Norderney. After class, Alana, Gabe, Hailey, Kathryn, and I (no Carter again, boo Carter) went to a tearoom to have some lunch. I had this very delicious pasta that reminded me a lot of a caccio e pepe pasta that my dad makes (but not as good of course). We finished a pretty delicious, but slightly expensive, lunch and headed to Bonn Hbf to meet the rest of the group. After a quick train ride, we made it to Cologne where you literally step outside of Hbf and BAM there’s the cathedral, looming in all its gothic glory over the locals and tourists. The cathedral is something that I’ve been wanting to see and it did not disappoint. The second thing I noticed when I got off the train was how windy it was; the headband I was wearing literally got blown off my head. We stood outside of the cathedral and Dr. Wasser told us a little bit of the history of the church and the story of Ursula and her 11,000 virgins before heading inside. The interior was fascinating to look at, especially with the NOM lecture that we just had. I’m not gonna lie, while one part of me was attempting to focus on the history Dr. Wasser was telling us, another (arguably larger) part was analyzing the acoustics of the cathedral and talking with Prof. Waltz. I’m going to reiterate again—and not for the last time—that I’m really enjoying the NOM class and I found it really cool to be able to know why you’re hearing what you’re hearing in a certain space. There’s so much more to it than I ever imagined and really cared to think about, honestly, and I love that. It’s something that took me by surprise with how much goes into it (I’m so ignorant sometimes it kills me) and I just want to know more. Anyway, we went from the cathedral to a Roman ruins and artifacts museum. It’s funny because I’ve seen all of these Roman ruins that I almost become desensitized to just how amazing they were. Like, oh you could engineer and make really cool things with limited technology and communication? Mediocre at best. I found a bust of Iulia Domna who was the wife of Emperor Septimus Severus. She lived from 170 AD-217 AD and she held a good amount of power as empress. She loved philosophy and promoted it within Rome, as well as funded restorations of the aedes Vestae, which includes the Temple of Vesta and the Atrium of the Vestal Virgins. Not so fun fact: she had two sons, Geta and Caracalla who never got along. After Caracalla had Geta murdered, Iulia committed suicide. And on that dark note we continue. 
Afterward, we did my favorite thing that we’ve done on this trip and toured the inside of the cathedral. I’m not talking about walking in the front door and walking among the pews. I’m talking about taking a lift up 25 meters and going into the attic, among the scaffolding, and through the balconies where you can look down on everyone walking and touch the stained glass directly behind your head. It was nuts. Our tour guide was young and enthusiastic and the first thing she did was take us into the attic where she explained how long it took to build the cathedral and that it will technically never be finished. She said that they had begun building it 1248, bit off more than they could chew, took a 300 year long break, picked it back up again with the gothic revival, and now it’s in a constant state of renovation. If there’s ever a time when the cathedral is not being worked on, it’s because the world is ending. Our tour guide lead us through all of these little passageways, up stairs, down stairs, around corners, and we emerged on the balcony-type things I mentioned earlier. It was quite crazy. We could literally walk around the perimeter of the church in these balconies, halfway up the height of the church, and only those who looked up to find us would be able to. You could see the stained glass and the stone up close. Our tour guide explained that the cathedral was hit multiple times by bombs during the World Wars and showed us how there’s three different kinds of stone present: the original, the post-bombings, and the restoration stone. Next she lead us outside, where we walked along single file on this skinny metal platform where the roof was on one side and flying buttresses and/or other stonework was present to keep you from falling. This part was kind of crazy because if you took one misstep, you could end up slipping through the stone labyrinth blocking you in and fall alllllllll the way down. I loved it. She showed us where the flying buttresses were kind of crumbly due to the sandstone they used, and she brought us around to the front of the church where we could look over the plaza. Next, she lead us back inside where we were in between the scaffolding of the exterior and the roof of the interior. We could see the dome/arch-shaped ceilings that had little holes in them for scaffolding because they weren’t designed to bear weight. Then she led us up a spiral staircase in the about halfway down the length of the church. After a brief climb, we emerged and found ourselves at the top of the “little” tower on top of the church. The view was incredible. On one side, we could see the stretch of the Rhine and the other was dominated by the church’s two main towers, complete with a sliver of view between them. Of course, approximately 15 minutes of pictures ensued. I’m really, really grateful that Victoria let me borrow her camera for this trip, because I honestly love taking pictures of not just the sights, but of my friends. It’s one of those things where it is really valuable to be able to document a view such as that or a beautiful sunset, but I love capturing the little moments: calling Kathryn’s name and taking the picture before she’s ready, Carter’s power stance, Dr. Wasser deep in thought during a tour, etc. As much as I would love to remember the view from the top of the Cologne Cathedral, I just find it so much more value in being able to preserve laughter and personal memories. Mini rant done. We descended soon afterwards and split up as a group. A few of us headed to a gelato place that Dr. Wasser had recommended. While it was not the best gelato I’ve had on the trip (Munich’s stracciatella wins over all) and was slightly icey, the cookie flavor was BOMB. It seemed to be a happy middle between cookie dough and cookie and I’m not really sure how to describe it other than delicious. Because dinner at host homes are free, getting gelato was enough for us and we decided to head back to Bonn. I took a backseat in the logistics of how to get home/wasn’t really paying attention, so when people started questioning which train to get on, I said sure, why not this one and we all got on. Then the debate ensued. No one was sure if this was the right type of train, speaking we hadn’t received any sort of information nor had we asked, because it was much nicer than the one we came to Cologne in (I think we were on an IC/ICE). We were still debating whether we should get off when the train started moving. Later on, I asked Maike about it who told me we were definitely not covered by our tickets for that particular train ride, as it was direct to Bonn, no stops like our first one. Covered or not, we didn’t get caught and made it to Bonn in about half the time. If I remember correctly, host family and I had a relatively quick dinner compared to other nights, and I went upstairs to work on my NOM paper (didn’t really happen).  

Thursday was our daytrip to Koblenz. We all woke up on the early side and met up at the old AIB, where we took a bus to Koblenz. We arrived in a pretty decent amount of time and immediately headed to tour the theatre. The theatre was not quite what I was expecting, but still a good experience. Our tour guide was young, lively, and knowledgeable and I enjoyed hearing what she had to say. She told us some information about the exterior of the theatre and then took us inside. We started in the theatre itself, where we could see that most of the decorative details (curtains, embellishments, etc) were simply painted on, which was pretty bad for the acoustics. I kind of noticed that the whole space was not exactly ideal for acoustics. The tour guide led us onto the stage where Prof. Waltz actually sang some opera for us (we later learned it was the first time he performed in 10 years!!!!!!! His siblings were not happy they missed it), then through backstage, and onward through the hair and makeup studio, the woodshop, the attic, and the prop production. I did theatre in high school for a couple of years, so it was really cool to be at an actual legitimate theatre and see where everything goes down. I wish I could’ve seen it in action a little more. We finished the tour, thanked our guide, and headed to eat, because even though it was only around 11, we were starving (this is what happens when you eat breakfast super early). We found a restaurant right on the Rhine, and I had a chicken sandwich of sorts, followed by a crepe. Our lunch break was actually quite long, so a couple people went to go get gelato, while Kathryn, Gabe, and I stayed back to finish our desserts at the restaurant. The three of us ended up just hanging out close to the Rhine, took some fun pictures, and ended up missing the meeting time, but it didn’t matter because we were actually closer to the gondolas than the rest of the group. Next on the list was the tour of the fortress. We all piled into two different gondolas that took us over the Rhine and basically up a mountain. I really loved the gondola ride and hopefully got some really cool video. It was quite the view, with the Rhine on either side and approaching basically a mountain. We met our tour guide and took a little stroll around the fortress, learning about its history and of course, taking pictures of the postcard view. Unfortunately, we didn’t end up taking the gondola back down the mountain, as our bus driver picked us up basically right outside. After a bit of a lengthy bus ride, we made it back to Bonn and went home. Once again, I tried working on my paper with some success and ended up getting nowhere near as much sleep as I was hoping for.

On Friday, we had our predeparture meeting for Norderney bright and early at 8:30am. To say it got me excited for our excursion was an understatement. Afterward, we had a NOM lecture, interesting as always, where we learned about the anatomy of the ear and why we hear what we hear. I really, really enjoyed it. I’m gonna reiterate, this is probably one of the most interesting classes I’ve taken, and Prof. Waltz even said he knew of some research labs that I’m for sure going to have to look into. Anyway, we finished up class and I got a quick lunch with Carter and Gabe before splitting off from everyone to go home (they had to go the train station to figure out Paris logistics). My time at my host home was interesting. I knew that I needed to get my paper done, and yet ended up being three hours slipped by with me trying to be productive, but to no avail. I’ll never understand where the time goes. However, I knew I had to get my paper done before Henning’s concert (unfortunately, grades trump German indie punk music festival) as well as pack for Brussels (our train was leaving at 7am and we were meeting at 6:45am). Eventually, I made significant progress and was pretty pleased with my work—not my best, but IMHO, good quality. It came to be evening time, and Carter, Kathryn, Hailey, and I started getting prepped to leave for the music festival. Long story short, Hailey and I ended up leaving a little later than Carter and Kathryn, who met up with Prof. Waltz. Long story short x2, I completely misread my bus schedule (whoops), and Hailey and I got to the subway approximately 1 minute before it left. To give you an idea of how close we were cutting it, Henning’s set started at around 10:15, we were leaving the festival on the first train out at 11:30, and if we had missed that first subway, we would’ve gotten there around 10:30…and it would’ve been all my fault. BUT, we managed as we tend to do in those sorts of situations and got there in great time. Funnily enough, we ended up getting there in a lot less time than Carter and Kathryn for how much later we left after them, since they missed their train. Anyway, from the very moment we walked in, you could tell we stuck out like sore thumb. For starters, everyone—EVERYONE—was wearing black and denim, and Prof. Waltz was in a bright orange rain jacket (which was actually very useful in making him super visible). It also seemed like everyone knew all the words to every song. I think I maybe recognized one of them? We had a great time, Carter especially. We were headbanging and bopping around and Sarah even got on the shoulders of a random man. It was pretty legit to see Henning totally in his element. Unfortunately, there were only two busses leaving from where we were (which was approximately an hour from Bonn), one at 11:30pm, the other at 2:00am, and with our early train to Brussels, we opted for the 11:30pm and missed the grand finale/after party. After a train and a bus ride, we made it back to Bonn around 1 or 2am, which I of course thought was the perfect time to finish and submit my paper (which ended up being just fine), before packing and going to bed. Again super late. Only to wake up really early. Are you sensing a trend. Good.

After a three-hour “sleep” (I’ve literally taken naps longer) I somehow managed to get myself to the train station. Man, I was dead inside. Actually, we (Carter, Gabe, Kathryn, Hailey, Alana, Dae, Drake, Emily, and I) all were. Totally worth it. I did sleep some on the train, which is something I am almost never able to do, so when we got to Brussels around 10am, I felt a little better. We headed to our Airbnb, which was a little confusing to find, but made it inside. This one was a little more on the ratchet side, but on a trip like this, it’s just another character-builder. We headed into town, where the first thing on the list was food. We were all starving, and the going gets rough when people start getting hangry. We found a restaurant, where after a pretty good main course of a baguette, we moved onto the main attraction: the waffles. Each of us got a waffle and oh man it was glorious. The chocolate sauce alone was rich and decadent and combined with the waffle, made the dessert top notch. It was exactly what we were looking for. We decided to do a little bit of exploring and walked by some pretty neat looking buildings whose names I have no idea and ended up in a park. I took some pretty rad pictures if I do say so myself and we even found this really cool drink stand with two guys performing a pretty good cover of Isn’t She Lovely. We ended up finding a really nice patch of grass in the middle of the park and, after taking a multitude of pictures, put on some chill music and hung out/napped for a couple hours. It was glorious. Afterward, we headed back into the busier parts of town, took even more pictures of scenic views, and got some pretty good French fries with a “Brazil” sauce. I’m sure it was totally authentic. Then, we walked around for a bit before finding a chocolate shop, where the guy at the front was giving free samples (and actually gave me two, so that was pretty neat) that totally worked and I ended up walking away with a little goody bag for myself. We proceeded onward and came to the Grand Place, which was pretty…grand. (I actually really liked it quite a bit. The buildings surrounding all sides of the square were marvelously and intricately decorated with stone and gold.) More walking happened, we stumbled upon the Manneken Pis which was actually pretty funny looking. I believe it was after this that we began our search for a place for dinner, and although it took us awhile, we found a pretty nice upscale bar type place where we all had itty bitty dinners due to the profound amount of snacking during the day, had some deep talks that carried over into the night, and finally went to bed.

Our final day in Brussels consisted of basically what we did on the first day: walk around, eat, and lay in a park. It started off at a breakfast place with possibly the sweetest old man I have ever met. He was very kind to us especially, and the breakfast just so happened to be reasonably priced, well portioned, and delicious—especially the hot chocolate. Let me tell you about this hot chocolate. Best I’ve had in my life. Literal molten chocolate gold. Amazing. Truly amazing. After our carb-loading breakfast, we decided to walk around some more. I wanted to see the Catholic cathedral there so I dragged everyone there (by their own free will of course), and we actually stumbled upon the end of Mass. Being Catholic, I thought it was super cool. Being American, I didn’t understand a damn thing. Regardless, the organ sounded amazing, and this was magnified even more so thanks to what I’ve learned in NOM. We then ventured to find a large, famous park in Brussels. Although the patch of grass we settled in was not as nice as the one the day before, I of course passed out anyway for a solid amount of time after exploring. Then. THEN. We went to get French fries, and wow probably some of the best fries I’ve ever had in my life. I don’t even know how to describe them, except perfectly crispy and straight off the fryer or oven or pan or whatever sorcery they use to cook them. They even had—dare I say—that distinct smell (is it grease? Is it salt? Is it clogged arteries?) that the best fast food restaurant fries have, but the taste was elevated. Complimented by the garlic aioli sauce (which was also divine), I felt supremely alive. Shortly after my cosmic experience, we headed back to the main part of town where I bought yet another sweatshirt (whoops. Not sorry.) and some more chocolate (whoops. Not sorry. x2). Afterward, we had some time to kill before our train so we decided to head back to the restaurant from the previous night for some drinks. While there, Alana mentioned that she wanted to do some more shopping, so we all ventured back into town. A few went back to certain stores, while myself and others went to get one last Belgian waffle. Emily and I shared one with speculos and strawberries, and yet again Brussels did not disappoint. What a euphoric experience. Anyway, all of a sudden we were in a time crunch. Our train was leaving at 6:25pm, it was 5:48pm, and we were twelve minutes away from the station. Stress levels were definitely rising among the group, but I wasn’t worried. We made it to the train station with ample buffer time and found our train on the departures board, only to find “***” where our platform number should have been. Feeling a little sketched out, we went to our platform, hoping for good news, but we were not so lucky. Our train, which would have gotten us back to our host homes probably before 10pm, had been cancelled. Lol what. Background info: We HAD to make it to Bonn that night. The next day we had to be at the train station at 6:20am to leave for Norderney, so we couldn’t take an overnight train. We had to make it back to our host homes somehow to prepare and pack a week’s worth of clothes for Norderney and the following weekend. Even so, while I was a little peeved, I wasn’t super stressed about it. I had an idea it would all work out somehow. Plus, when you’re surrounded by people this great, you realize you’ll manage. So we proceeded to wait in a really long line, only for the official guy to tell us that we would have to take a train from Brussels to Liege, a bus from Liege to Aachen, and a train from Aachen to Cologne (and then we’d have to find our way from Cologne to Bonn). Okay. So. A slight change in plans, but this really was our only option. Resigned to our fate of little to no sleep, we boarded the train to Liege. About an hour later, we got off the train at one of the Liege stops, exited the platform, and headed down to where we saw some busses. Carter and I, being intelligent folk, decided to head inside the train station to get some information straight to try to avoid us flailing around trying to figure out which bus was ours in time. We go up to the counter, where we explain our situation to the woman behind the desk. She tells us, “Oh, you got off at the wrong stop.” (!!!!!!) I ask her what we do, and she says to get on the Thalys train (super fast, reservation compulsory) to Cologne. My mind starts racing because obviously this is SO much better than our original plan, but we also had seven more people. She says it’s no problem (phew) and I ask her, “When did you say the train leaves?” and this woman, calm as all get out, says, “Three minutes.” Almost immediately, the adrenaline kicks in. Carter and I look at each other, he tells me to run and grab everyone else while he gets the boarding passes, and I sprint out of there. I exit the train station, frantically searching for the group, finding nothing, until I hear “Jules!” I spot them, wave at them hurriedly to follow me, and run back inside. I head back to the information desk (what could’ve been a costly mistake in hindsight) to grab Carter, but he’s already running towards us, and the lady behind the counter is yelling at us to run to platform 2. We all race through the station and bound up the stairs, where the whooshing of the train arriving just about gives me a heart attack, and finally make it onto the Thalys train. It. was. nuts. As I said before, Thalys trains are reservation compulsory, so even though we were on the train, we had no seats. Half of us went to the luggage cart, while Dae, Gabe, Emily, and I sat on the ground in between cars. We even made friend with a German girl who had basically gone through the same thing as us. I was so, so, so relieved we were on this train. I couldn’t stop laughing and smiling for what seemed like a solid fifteen minutes. We made it back to Cologne in one hour (wow!), but of course, it wasn’t all smooth sailing from there. I’m still not sure on the details, but the train from Cologne to Bonn was delayed by an hour, so we hopped on another train whose final destination was Koblenz, but Bonn was a stop on the way. Unfortunately, it seemed like everybody and their mother had the same idea as us, so we all ended up getting split up, and Kathryn, Emily, and I stood almost too close for comfort in the aisle for the 40 minute ride. Talk about a fun time. Even so, we made it back to Bonn much earlier than we would have otherwise, but with packing and showering, I didn’t end up going to sleep until 1:00am. And so the trend continues.

This week was on the more chill side but still incredible as always. I really enjoyed Brussels. After all, we pretty much only ate, walked, and lounged around. That seemed to be the overall feel of Brussels: there aren’t any huge tourist attractions, so our weekend was much more about the time we spent with each other soaking up the city, rather than focusing on going from one thing to the next. It was much more chill than our other city adventures and a really great predecessor to Norderney, the greatest of them all. More on that later.

So, I lied. This is definitely a lengthy post. You made it though, and I’m proud of you. We can be friends.


JMD

No comments: