Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Patronage in Praha

Upon arriving in Prague, or Praha as all the signs said, I was blown away by the size of the city. Traveling across the bridge, Prague was on the horizon; it was before us, next to us, below us, all around us was the city that seemed enormous. Getting into the train station, however, gave way to new challenges. We very quickly realized that we were in an entirely new place in a foreign land with people who didn't speak a language we knew with a new currency that was baffling. Culture shock quickly set in, but quickly dissipated as well after we analyzed the situation we were thrown into and adapted to the change.

In Prague, the next day, we saw the astrological clock there on the side of the clock tower. One of three in the world, and being the only functioning one, it was a unique memento from the days when man was still trying to map the stars and understand the solar system and cosmos as we know it today. We ventured to the castle in Prague, which I later learned is the largest ancient castle in the world. It was interesting to be sure, but after seeing other castles in Europe, the Prague castle seemed just another castle. I didn't know one could get bored of castles, especially since they are not common in the US, but I guess there is a reason I am not majoring in architecture.

I feel I didn't see as much as I would have liked in Prague, and hope to go again in the future. Especially since things are much cheaper there!

No comments: