Monday, June 12, 2017

Week 3

Having the day off was really nice because on Tuesday I knew I had a full day of classes ahead of me.  Tuesday ended up not actually being that bad, we were in class for a while but I have actually really been enjoying what we have been learning.  On Wednesday we went to Köln to see the cathedral and to tour the Roman Museum.  Wednesday was an awesome day.  In the museum I found a statue of a lion that really interested me.
The statue was actually used to fend off robbers back in the day.  This is just really interesting to me because I would have never been scared off by a stone lion.  I guess if lions were an actual threat in Houston it might concern but this is not the case.  But regardless, it was interesting for me to think about whether or not it was actually effective technique.  After the museum we toured the cathedral though which was so awesome.  I feel like touring the cathedral was actually a once in a lifetime activity so I thought it was really kool.  We explored parts of the cathedral that I would have never known existed without going on the tour.  
The tour guide was very enthusiastic and it was apparent that she cared about the history of the cathedral.  At the end of the tour we ended up at a point on the cathedral that was 65m high.  
The view from this high point of the cathedral was amazing.  According to Henning we could see all the way to Bonn.  After we descended from the cathedral a group of us went and got gelato before heading back to Bonn.  At this point in the week we were starting to get pretty close to the due date for our paper so I may have been stalling.  Once we got back though I worked on blog posts and hung out with my host family.  On that note, I have really been enjoying hanging out with my host family.  They have been really accepting of Dae and me and I have enjoyed our time together.  On Thursday we took a trip to Koblenz to see the horseshoe shaped theater.  If I am being honest the theater was a little underwhelming.  I really like the idea of touring a horseshoe shaped theater but it just seemed like the theater in Koblenz was not very extravagant.  I did enjoy having a tour guide who obviously knew so much about the theater.  She was very engaging and made the tour enjoyable.  After we toured the theater we went and toured the fort.  We took the gondola up the the fort and that was really kool to see the view.  The fort was really kool but at this point in the day I was exhausted.  I really wanted to pay attention but we were all crammed in to small spaces at point which made it hard to pay attention.  After the fort we headed home and I finished the majority of my paper.  On Friday I pretty much just prepped for my weekend in Brussels and finished up my paper.  Friday night though a big group up us went to Henning's concert and it was awesome.  
The fact that our AIB coordinator is a German rockstar is so kool to me.  Henning is a really kool dude and going to his concert was such a fun time.  Next stop is the 
7:01AM train to Brussels! 

No comments: