Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Florence Adventure

During the first three-day weekend available during this study abroad, I went to Florence for the weekend. I have to say, the city was beautiful! The building and churches are worthy enough for a trip and the food makes the place spectacular. I think I had gelato three times there. A couple of us girls arrive in Italy on Friday afternoon and we actually landed in Pisa, Italy instead of Florence. Since we were in Pisa, we decided to visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa before we took a train ride to Florence. I didn't realize how much the Leaning Tower of Pisa actually leans over! You can tell the difference when comparing it to the church right next to it. After visiting the famous tower, we took a train ride from Pisa to Florence and checked in the hotel we was staying in. The hotel had a very friendly family vibe and it kinda felt like home for the next couple of days. The room however was very small and the shower could only fit one person, but I think that is normal for European hotels. Since we had a long day of traveling, we hit the hay pretty quickly. On Saturday, we went to several churches and the Academia to see the David. I think we over paid for the Academia, but you don't get to see famous sculptures every day. I also found a gelato shop on Saturday night that I visited before in Florence and the gelato was even better the second visit. On Sunday, we went to a Catholic mass during the morning and saw the Uffizi art gallery during the afternoon. We were able to get inside with free admission since it was later in the afternoon and we saw most of the famous artists like Leonardo and Raphael. I was glad that I saw some of the famous "Ninja Turtles" during my stay in Florence. We left on Monday morning and spent the most of the day traveling. Monday just happened to be the day when almost every form of transportation had delays. Our train got delayed 30 minutes and our plane was delayed for over an hour. But, the most important part is that we were able to make it back safely to Bonn. I was glad to travel a lot during this past week, however, I am glad to have a bit of a break in Bonn. I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend as well and a great week too.

No comments: