Sunday, June 25, 2017

I found my new favorite vacation spot

This past week we went to Hannover and Norderney to study during the week.  The first day we stayed in Hannover and here we went to a regenerative medicine research area using axolotls.  I was really interested in the type of research they were doing so I asked Dr. Wasser for more information about it and I am excited to see what happens with that.  After visiting the research lab, we went to the hospital and got to talk to a resident who specialized in cardiovascular surgery who also did research with stem cells.  Getting to talk to him and seeing what he thought about everything was amazing and I got to see the "inside" of a surgeon's head here in Germany.  We also got to speak with a patient who was connected to one of the heart monitors and how it has impacted and helped his life.  After Hannover, we went to Norderney.  Norderney is now one of my favorite places to go.  It has very little tourist and the weather was amazing.  On the first day we were actually there we did a long bike ride around the island.  At first, it wasn't bad but it was still really long and challenging for someone who doesn't bike at all.  Going back to the hostel, however, was the hardest thing I have ever done because it was mostly uphill and we were going against the wind.  In total, we biked around 15 km.  After the long bike ride, we had a class BBQ and that was so much fun and amazing.  After the BBQ, people decided to take a dip in the North Sea (I would have but I was so scared I was going to get sick).  On the second day we were there we were able to go to the badehaus and we were given a lecture and then we had the whole spa for 4 hours.  That was the most relaxed I have ever been in my life honestly.  After this, I went and got their famous tea with some friends and then went to the beach and started reading on the beach.  Later this day we went on a mud walk.  The mud walk was fun at first because it was a whole new experience but as the night went on it started to get colder and I was so scared I was going to get sick.  The view from the very edge of the tide was amazing, however.   I loved Norderney and I would love to come back and vacation here with my family in the future because of just how amazing it was.

No comments: