Monday, June 12, 2017

Seven Wise Men Mosaic

This week when we went to Cologne, we had to pick out something in the museum that got our attention to write about. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but nothing really stuck out to me as something I would love to learn more about until I came across this mosaic.  There was this mosaic that was sort of put away towards the back being guarded so that no one stepped on it. It was gorgeous and interesting, so I found what I wanted to learn more about.  This mosaic has people such as the seven wise men, Diogenes, Platos, and Aristotles.   The seven wise men were Greek philosophers, poets, and statesmen. Confused, I decided to look up who they were exactly and why hey we're so important. The seven wise men symbolize wisdom (duh) and they had sayings like "Know Thyself" and "Most Men are Bad". They basically told the basic truth statements about life. These statements are also called aphorisms and these were also used by Hippocrates.  In the middle was is Diogenes which was the Greek god of wine and partying which was common in this time period. The details surrounding the edges of the mosaic were interesting and what actually drew me to this. To me it's very interesting that this was used as just a other ground where people would get together but if I wanted to show off my wealth, I understand why someone would create something so amazing.





No comments: