Saturday, June 10, 2017

Conquering my fear one excursion at a time

This week was full of adventure. Monday was a bit stressful when it came to transportation but we got through it. I already have a slight fear of flying and then our plane had technical problems, which delayed us getting on the plane. We got home just fine which is all I care about. This week has been tiring but very fun. On Wednesday we went to Cologne. I absolutely loved the Cathedral. Being Catholic, whenever I walk into a church I just feel overwhelmed with comfort and love from God. The stain glass windows are gorgeous and I can’t even imagine the history that lies within its walls. I can’t say I conquered my fear of heights but I definitely wasn’t as scared as I thought I’d be when we were climbing stairs to the top of the cathedral. I love the view from heights but the idea of falling makes my legs shake. Let’s just say this trip is definitely testing all my fears lol.

We also went to the Roman-Germanic museum. From the window the Dionysus mosaic looked like carpet to me. I loved how one mosaic can hold so many symbols that tell a story. Dr. Wasser told us to pick and object in the museum to write about. I picked the statue of Hercules fighting the Nemean Lion. I loved learning Latin in high school and hearing all the mythology stories. Of course I’ve known about Hercules since I was little because I loved the Disney movie. I thought the story of his tweleve labors was so interesting. He had to complete twelve labors after murdering his wife and children. The Nemean Lion was the first of these twelve labors.

The next day we went to Koblenz. It was a very early morning but wow was it worth it. I remember passing by Koblenz on the bus ride to Bonn and thinking I want to take a day trip here. I loved seeing how physically the two rivers flow together. The fortress was so neat and the view was breathtaking. Last night we went to Hennings concert. It was definitely the best time I’ve ever had at a concert I couldn’t understand lol. This very large german man let me sit on his shoulders and to see the concert better. I can definitely check that off my bucket list. Today we’re in Brussels and I’m excited to wander around and eat my weight in chocolate.

Au Revoir for now!


Sarah

No comments: