Saturday, June 24, 2017

Picture Perfect Paradise

I went into week four with no expectations, and it ended up completely blowing me away. On Monday, we traveled to Hannover where we got a little taste of regenerative medicine by meeting the axolotl’s. You would never guess what remarkable creatures those little guys are just at a first glance. I was amazed when our guide told us that she had a pet axolotl that lost an entire half of its head and was still able to regenerate. I have to say I was a little disappointed that we weren’t able to go into the spider room, but I will have to save that for a later trip.

After visiting the research center, we visited the Hannover Medical School where we learned more about valve replacements than I could even wrap my head around.  The man who gave us the lecture on heart valves was incredible. The passion he possesses radiates from him in every way when he speaks about his profession. The best part about visiting the medical school was being able to listen to a patient that currently lives with a pump. I was worried about entering the patient’s room because I did not want him to be bombarded with over 20 young students, but the man was extremely welcoming. It was amazing that despite how he must have been feeling and what all he has been through; he still kept such a positive spirit. He told us that he speaks 7 languages and has traveled to over 100 countries…what a life!

The next morning marked our voyage to the island of Norderney. The ferry ride to the island got a little rocky to say the least. We started our journey with a “leisurely” bike tour of the island. I pictured Norderney as a flat, sandy island with a few dunes, but I was completely wrong. The island was absolutely breathtaking! The quaint neighborhoods, rolling dunes, and the beaches made for a picture perfect paradise. I was quite proud of myself as we rode our bikes all the way to the lighthouse and kept saying to myself, “This is so easy.” I quickly revoked that statement when we rode back to the hotel at the end of the tour. We rode into the wind blasting us in the opposite direction. My legs just about fell off by the end of the ride, but it is all part of the experience. Our day ended with the BBQ by the hotel. The bratwurst and the rice pudding were delicious, but the best part of all was just bonding with everyone including Henning and Dr. Wasser. Those are the moments I know I am going to miss the most looking back on this trip. After relaxing for a while at the BBQ, a group of brave souls decided to jump into the ice-cold North Sea. I was not one of those souls, but it was very entertaining to watch all of them and I can’t say I regret not going in. After everyone jumped in, I couldn’t help but just admire the sunset. It was so incredibly beautiful—easily one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have seen in a while.


Our second day in Norderney was heavenly. The Badehaus was unbelievably relaxing. I didn’t know what to expect from the mud bath but it was one of the most amazing things I have experienced. The salt-water pool was also incredible; I almost fell asleep every time I went in there. The most peaceful part of the Badehouse for me was the lounge room with the heated stone beds. I laid in there twice and instantly fell asleep both times. I finally got a taste of the infamous “Loyly,” and although I couldn’t last more than 10 minutes, it was still as amazing as Dr. Wasser promised. I can see why the Germans love their Loyly so much and if it were up to me I would have stayed there all day. After finishing up at the spa, we grabbed a bite to eat at the café outside the house. There I had grapefruit beer for the first time along with some good ol’ schnitzel.

Later that evening, it was time to embark on our journey through the mud flats. I really enjoyed listening to how passionate our tour guide was about the Waden Sea and all the creatures that inhabit it. I loved the way the mud felt on my feet as we walked through, and I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that we were literally standing in the middle of the ocean. The best part about our stroll through the flats was the sunset. It looked gorgeous beaming against the remaining water on the mud. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will never forget.




Later that night, a group of us along with Henning went down to the beach and sat by a fire. We played music, listened to Henning’s pirate stories, and just enjoyed each other’s company for our last night in Norderney. It was so peaceful sitting there and this was when it really started to sink in that we are reaching the end of this journey. I have made some of the best friends here and I am so lucky that I was placed with such an awesome group of people. The coolest part of that night was that even though the sun had just recently set, it began to rise again just a couple hours later. I was more at peace than I have been in a long time just listening to the waves and watching the colors of the sky change as the sun nearly rose. Norderney, you will be missed, bike crashes and all.

No comments: