Friday, June 30, 2017

SECHS

Oh my goodness my last week in Bonn is over. Why does time have to be so fast?? Make it stop!! This past week we got to go to Rheinefels area and do a Rhein cruise (which is a massive river that flows north). It was very peaceful and relaxing and I even fell asleep on the cruise and got a little sun! We then hiked up to a castle to have a tour and a "dinner snack" at a nice restaurant at the castle. The tour was fascinated. We crawled through a small, pitch-black foxhole which was a riveting experience. The dinner snack was a local soup; it was quite delicious. But I think I had too much wine because I left my purse in the bathroom there!  I had to return the next day, and my lovely boyfriend came with me and we made a day of it. We ate dinner at the same place; I had some amazing hash browns and Matt ate a nice steak. 

This past weekend we went to Switzerland. I know I say this everything but that was definitely my favorite place. It was beautiful beyond words AND pictures. You really have to be there to understand the breadth of the the scenery. We first arrived in Zurich and stayed at an Airbnb. It was so hot, me and Matt were sweating so much we didn't use any of the sheets or comforter. 
Matt has a family friend named Manfred who lives in Switzerland and let us stay in his mountain cabin for the rest of the weekend. Manfred is literally the happiest and nicest man I've ever met. I mean I can not imagine him ever being upset. Someone cut him off while we're we're drive and he laughed and said "look at this guy haha he's confused" in the happiest voice. Not only Manfred, but everyone in Switzerland seemed that way! They all seemed incredible satisfied all of the time. I think how locals act around tourists is a big factor in how the tourist feels about the place. In Prague everyone seemed so annoyed and rude and I can't remember much of the good times because I just get a sour taste when I think of that place. It's unfortunate really because I had some amazing memories from there. But Switzerland everyone was so smiley, helpful, and warm. They were also very rich, and everything you buy there is almost 150% the German price. But I'd go back in a heart beat. Everything there was beautiful. Manfred bought us all the food we needed and let us borrow his car. The cabin was in a really cool place in the woods of the mountains overlooking Buchs, Switzerland and all of Liechtenstein. We went on a short hike around the see which composed mainly of two or three different farms. We saw cows, horses, chickens, piglets and farm dogs who were so happy to see us! The dogs fell in love with us and didn't want us to leave! But his owner was super nice and helped us find our way home. We then went to Walensee lake (not sure if that's right). This lake touches the Alps and is made of the bluest water you can imagine. 


We ate some Swiss chocolate, drank some wine,  took a dip in the lake, and then returned home. At night we grilled some bratwurst on the coal grill, made spaghetti, and fell asleep so fast after the long day. The next day we woke up early and did a long hike to a nice peak. It was very exhausting, but worth the view. Here's a pic of that:



I would kill to have that view everyday.  I'm gonna miss Switzerland, but I'm determined to return someday!!

I'm also really going to miss Bonn. It was just started to feel like home. I always felt relief getting to my place in Bonn after traveling all weekend. I could really live there, except my heart is with my friends and family in America. I wrote in my first blog that I was afraid I would fall in Europe too much that I wouldn't want to come home, and while that is kind of true, I'm so drawn to everyone I know in America that I am, in a way, glad to be returning. Perhaps if I had time to make friends here in Germany, I might feel more torn about it. 

Anyways now I'm on a train traveling to Berlin, the German city I am most excited for!! You'll get to hear all about it next week. Until then, techies!!!!

No comments: