Friday, June 30, 2017

Blood and Birkenstocks


Our last week in Bonn was one of my favorites. We went to the zoo, got to observe surgeries, and I got a really good deal on shoes. I understand that shoes are not supposed to be the most exciting thing that happened this week but when the shoes are a quarter of a price they would be back home they become very exciting. The zoo was my second favorite thing of the week because we got to feed elephants. I did not realize how big an elephant was until I saw an average sized man standing right next to one. At one point, one of the babies tried to get through the gate because he wanted food and to be pet. I was also a huge fan of the lemurs. I had never seen any in person before and there were quite a bit of new babies around. I could have sat on a bench and watched the lemurs all day. My least favorite part of the week was the observing of surgeries. This is purely because I have a week stomach. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to watch; I just didn’t feel the best after getting to watch. I was very surprised by the atmosphere in the operation room. It was much more laid back than I anticipated and everyone there seemed to really enjoy his or her jobs. I observed in the urology department. I was lucky in the fact that I got to observe more surgeries than the other people because urology’s surgeries are not as long as some other departments. I was already thinking that I could never be a surgeon and this definitely reaffirmed that. Now whenever I’m watching grey’s anatomy and get an urge to be like them I will remember when I almost threw up watching a lumbar puncture. Hopefully I will look at my shoes I got on sale and be content with my life.

No comments: