Monday, June 26, 2017

I finally posted another blog

Continents change, but people stay the same. I’m still procrastinating even in Europe (or maybe because I’m in Europe). I have so much that I have done and have yet to write about.
First: the Cologne Cathedral. The cathedral is so immense and beautiful that it makes me feel small. I love it. The Gothic style of architecture is better seen in person compared to photographs. I wish you could see the building without scaffolding, but I understand there is constant work that needs to be done to keep such a monument standing. You can’t appreciate just how massive the church really is until you climb it. We took a rather scary elevator up several meters and stepped out in the blustering wind. I’ve never been a fan of heights, but I also wouldn’t describe myself as agoraphobic. The tour guide was calm and collected walking along the narrow pathway. I was gripping to a railing the whole time. It felt like it would be so easy to misplace one step and slip off the cathedral. We climbed farther up this tiny staircase that seemed to wind on forever. It made me feel claustrophobic and I was basically climbing on my hands and knees. We stepped out onto the top of the cathedral (but not the spires, that was another several, several meters). There was a beautiful view of the Rhine. The climb down and being back on the ground was very relieving. I’m not a religious person, but the cathedral made even me feel spiritual. I lit a candle inside.
We also visited the Romish-Germanisches museum. Until this trip, I never realized how far North the Romans made it. Germany just seems so far from Rome that I never really thought about the Romans making it up here. The museum had an impressive collection of artifacts. It’s crazy to think all these trappings of Roman life are right beneath our feet as we walk through the city. The item I chose to write about is a “head from a funeral monument [with a] hairstyle…like that of Empress Agrippina, foundress of Cologne”. Agrippina was a fascinating woman. She was described as ruthless, ambitious, violent and domineering. She was Emperor Augustus’ great-granddaughter, Emperor Caligula’s sister, married to Emperor Claudius, and mother of Emperor Nero. I chose this monument for two reasons. The first reason is I think it’s fascinating how the Romans honored their dead. The need to show off wealth and power did not fade when they died. Secondly, I think it shows how human nature has remained the same throughout the centuries. People today get haircuts or buy clothes to imitate celebrities, and people did that in Ancient Rome.

The next day we visited Koblenz. I had been through the city when I went to Trier to visit the Karl Marx house. We toured an opera house and saw the behind the scenes work. We ate lunch on the Rhine and took a gondola up to a fortress. The ride was a little scary, but the view was worth it. The fortress reminded me a lot of the forts I’ve visited on the coast of Georgia.
The visit to Norderney was incredible. The ferry ride was blustery, but it was not as cold on the island. It was the first time I rode a bike in about 4 years. I did a lot better than I expected. I only really fell off my bike one time at the beginning. I luckily got a smaller one because the seat on the first bike wouldn’t lower. I ended up with a room all to myself at the hostel because of the odd number of girls. The bike ride on the first day was intense and I’m honestly surprised I made it all the way. I was red faced and out of breathe when we made it back to the hostel. The BBQ we had as a group was fun. It was a relaxed atmosphere and we got to banter with each other. Later, we went to the beach and I stood about ankle deep in the North Sea while some of the others went further in. The sunset was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. The island itself reminds me a lot of the island in Georgia I visited frequently when I was a child. Of course, the spa was my favorite activity. The mud bath made my skin feel soft and someone even told me I was glowing. The wave pool was like being in the ocean. I wasn’t super into the sauna. It was my first time and I did want to experience it, but I strongly dislike being hot. I preferred the cold plunge bath afterward. After the spa, I wandered around a little bit with Jessica and bought some souvenirs. The mud flat tour later was incredible. It was crazy to be standing on land covered by the ocean.
After Norderney, I traveled to Hamburg for one night before catching a plane to Paris. I actually missed my first plane and had to take a second one that had a connection in Salzburg. Paris was my favorite city I visited this trip. I ate dinner at a restaurant that had a view of the Eiffel Tower. Then, we walked to the park and sat beneath the tower drinking champagne and beer we bought from the hagglers. It was such a fun night. The next morning we went to Versailles. I had a mild obsession with Marie Antoinette when I was younger and always wanted to see where she spent her time. Versailles was beautiful and overwhelming. Every room was so ornate I felt like I was not seeing everything. Honestly, you could have spent all day there, analyzing every painting and piece of furniture. Next, we took a quick siesta before dinner. We visited Notre Dame, but unfortunately didn’t get to see the inside. We spent the evening on the hill underneath Sacre Cour with a view of Paris stretched out below. I had to get up and leave the next morning. I wish I had more time. I didn’t get to see the Louvre, so I definitely have to make another trip to Paris one day.

This past week in Bonn I was sick and missed out on the organ factory tour and the Rhine Cruise. I did get to see surgery at the clinic. I watched a mitral valve repair. It was crazy to watch the surgeons cut open a woman’s ribs and see her heart beating inches from my face. The surgeons were very friendly and willing to explain the procedure as we watched. I continued to be amazed that surgeons can stand for so long and focus on the simple tasks involved in surgery. 
Saying goodbye to my host family was hard. I don't want to leave here, although I do miss my dog and pig. My host mom and I just have such good conversations and agree on things that I cannot even discuss with my own mother. Plus, she offers me a cigarette at every meal. I can't thank them enough for their kindness and hospitality. I will miss them and remember them forever.

No comments: