Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Week 3 Blues

On week three, my fears of heights were put to test atop the Cologne Cathedral. Each level of the roof we traveled to brought with it huge gusts of wind that made me feel like I was going to blow right off the top of the building. But once we got to the highest level we could reach, I felt on top of the world. Not many people can say they have climbed on top of the roof of a church that took over 600 years to build. I loved being able to look over the entire inside of the cathedral from one of the top levels. The architecture was in complete harmony and it was overwhelming to look at the stained glass windows and mile high ceilings. I was also amazed that the cathedral was able to stand through the attacks from WWII and I wish I could have seen what all the stained glass windows originally looked like. The most amazing part about the Cathedral to me was the relics from the 3 wise men. I had no idea those were kept in Cologne and I pray that they are legit because if so that blows my mind. I loved seeing how proud our tour guide was of the Cathedral. It is obviously is something that those living in Cologne hold very close to their heart.

As if my day in Cologne couldn't get any more overwhelming, we also visited the Roman Germanic Museum. I have always been fascinated with ancient Roman History and I couldn't believe the amount of artifacts present in one place. I loved that the first mosaic we looked at was kept in its original place and the museum was built around it. I just imagined all the Romans that once walked those floors thousands of years ago. We were asked to take a picture of an artifact from the museum and as I walked through I was hoping to find an item that really spoke to me. I happened upon a stone statue of the face of a Rhine river god. His face drew me in with his piercing eyes that looked like he had just seen something horrific. The Romans believed there was a God for everything and so the river god Rhenus held the power over the river. Up until Koblenz, the Rhine River ran through the province of Germania Superior. Once Julius Caesar reached the river in 58 BCE, however, it became a boundary between the Gallic nations in the west and the Germanic tribes in the east. For years the river was thought to divide the two races and the river gods played an important role in keeping watch over the river to insure that these two races remained separated.
                                                    
Fast-forward a couple days to one of the most epic nights of my life—Henning's concert. Who would have known that he would be our coordinator by day, rock star by night? I had no idea what to expect from his concert, I kind of pictured a small bar with a couple hundred people but I was completely wrong. In the midst of a magical Forrest was an angst paradise filled with hundreds of people dressed in all black. As soon as Henning took the stage we all went insane. I had no idea what they were singing in German but I still screamed random words at the top of my lungs. The fans were wild. Huge mosh pits would form and everyone would just shove each other for fun and I can't say I wasn't a tad scared for my life but at the same time I loved it. The absolute best part were all the times Henning would find us in the crowd and point straight to us and smile and we would all go crazy. That was a night that is in the books for sure. Henning is my hero. 

My week ended with a relaxing time in Brussels. For once, we went to a city and didn't try to cross a ton of sights off our list. All we did was stroll and eat our way around the city with no plans. While strolling, we did come across the most beautiful garden on top of a hill with a view of the entire city. The best part of the weekend was the food. Oh my gosh does Brussels know what they are doing with their cuisine. I had the best French fries of my life, delicious crepes, chocolate, and so much more. I didn't eat a single thing that I didn't like. The best meal I have had in Europe so far was at this 5 star restaurant where I ordered a pork knee that was literally the size of my head. A relaxing weekend was just what I needed to help my body recoup. I also came to the realization that this weekend marked the halfway point of our program. I can't believe how fast time has flown by, I feel like we just landed in Frankfurt. It's amazing how well everyone in our group meshes. I feel like I have known everyone for so much longer than just a couple weeks and I wish we could stay here forever.
                                         
                                     


No comments: