Saturday, June 17, 2017

Blog 4: Vienna and More

Why is there no AC in any of these countries? "because they spend more time in cold weather than hot". Okay yes, this makes sense I suppose. However this girl from Texas cant help feeling like AC is a critical part of any and all buildings. These were my first thoughts when arriving at the Deutschmeister hotel in Vienna. Thankfully, we were able to purchase access to the unit in our room which dramatically improved the sleeping portion of this trip. The non-sleeping portion was absolutely packed with amazing sights and learning experiences, including walking tours, and museums galore.
 
I really wish would could have spent more time in the Josephinium. I recently took Anatomy and Physiology this last spring semester, so being able to identify the parts of the human body on such beautifully crafted and realistic wax figures was fun test of my terminology knowledge. I also would of loved to learn more about the artificial hearts. I actually was watching an episode of "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" when one of the characters appeared to be dead because he had no pulse. The other characters were freaking out about what to do, when the presumed dead man walks down the stairs, and explains that he has a device in his chest that creates a continuous blood flow so he has no pulse. I thought this was especially funny and entertaining because, 1) the show is written and produced by Tina Fey who is a genius and 2) because we JUST learned about VADs and artificial hearts! For our group dinner I had the Horse Goulash. When I ordered it I just thought it would be an interesting experience. I wasn't expecting for so many of the other students to call me brave or adventurous.  In the end I wish I had ordered the pork goulash. The horse was flavorful but was more dry and lean than I would have preferred. Despite being told what we would be doing at our pre-departure meeting I wasn’t sure what to expect for any of the other things we did as a class. The Haus of Musik was really cool(especially the keyboard stairs and the Beethoven room) but I think the lessons from Waltz only skimmed the surface when it comes to music history, so it was a lot off learning on the spot. Additionally the crypt was really amazing, but a was a similar experience . The stories of the family and the grandeur of each of their final resting places were incredible. However] I think if I had studied the history of Austria and the family more, then I would have been able to follow the commentator of our tour guide better. Another highlight of the trip was the exhibit inside the old insane asylum. There I actually was familiar with quite a few things our guide talked about, and seeing the vast array of conditions and medical tools was really special. I could of spent a few more hours there if we had time. On our last day we attended the natural history Museum which made me feel like a kid again. The building was, as per usual, breathtaking. And the collection inside provided endless opportunities to learn about humans and animals. I do have to admit though, what happened after the NHM was probably one of my favorite parts of the whole journey. The royal bakery. My mother is a baker, and I'm a chocoholic so this place was basically a dream come true. I bought some chocolate, honey, candied rose petals, a pastry and some espresso. All  %100 worth it.

 


I would really love to return to Vienna one day. I still need to tour the palace, and learn more about Sisi!

-June 5th

No comments: