Thursday, June 22, 2017

Can I stay on Island Time?

I’m a little behind on my blog posts, partially because I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that the program is coming to an end. Sunday night I got back from Brussels in enough time to repack my bags and get a few hours of sleep before having to catch a 6:40AM train to Hannover. In Hannover we went to an Axolotl research facility. Axoltols are salamanders that have a unique regenerating process that bring interest in researchers to find applications to wound healing.  We also went to Hannover Medical School, which is one of the largest in the world. Here, a cardiovascular surgeon talked to us about how heart surgeries have changed over time.
Tuesday morning we left Hannover and headed to Norderney, which is an island on the northern coast of Germany. We arrived in Norrdiech Mole and took a ferry ride to get to the island. From the ferry we went to pick up bikes, which would be our mode of transportation for the next three days. (Note, I have not ridden a bike in so many years, so it was actually really exciting besides the fact that the seat really bruised my butt and I felt sore the next few days.) The island is rather small, only 14km long, and is covered in sand dunes, lots of rabbits, and tons of birds. The area was very different from what we have been seeing in Germany, so it was a nice change of things. We had a bike tour that was a couple of hours long where we rode through the dunes, to a lighthouse, and around the cute little town. Once we got back to the hostel we were staying at, we had the afternoon free to hang around where we were staying. We played volleyball, soccer, and swung on the swings.  We all felt like little kids again, and it was really nice to just goof off and have a great time together. That evening we had a group BBQ and made s’mores, but the German way because they don’t have Hershey bars here and we couldn’t find graham crackers so we used vanilla cookies instead. Regardless, they were wonderful! Once the sun started to set we headed to the beach to watch the gorgeous view, and a few brave souls jumped into the water (not me, because it was WAY TOO COLD).
Wednesday morning we headed over to the badehaus and heard a lecture over Thallous Medicine from one of the doctors. Shortly after, we had time to enjoy ourselves in the spa. There were multiple pools, tubs, and saunas throughout the spa where we could relax and renew ourselves (because, we have been working so hard ya know!). It was a great experience, not only because it felt wonderful, but because I personally feel like “spas” and “saunas” are not as greatly used properly in the states as they were here. Plus, the mud bath was really neat! After our time at the badehaus, we had the afternoon to ourselves, were I naturally found myself playing some beach volleyball. That evening we had a mudflat hiking tour where a guide took us during low tide out into the muddy swamps. We were able to see muscles, worms, and crabs, and see how Norderney is one of the World Heritage Sites. I thought it was really neat learning about the biological side of this since I just finished bio 112 and I was actually able to apply some of the things I learned and never thought I would need again. Unfortunately our stay in Norderney was short, but I really enjoyed it there. I wish we would have had more time because, though the island is small, I could have stayed for much longer! Thursday we headed back to mainland and a group of us had about ~8-9 hours of travelling ahead of us to Paris! But the Paris post will come later, so stay tuned lol.




Until later (probably tomorrow),
Emily

No comments: