Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Downtime in Dusseldorf

At the end of the Norderney excursion, I was exhausted. I was so tired that I was beginning to lose enjoyment in the unique and exciting adventures of the island, and began to crave rest more and more as the week wore on. As a result, I felt it wise to take a restful weekend and not go anywhere that required extensive travel, walking or riding. I decided to do day trips out of Bonn to places in close proximity; Cologne on Friday as I had only been there for four hours by the church, a day with my host family for Saturday, and a day in Dusseldorf for Sunday.

My plans were butchered early, however, as I did not wake up on Friday until around noon (waking after about 16 hours of sleep; I was really tired). As a good portion of the day had already gone and it was clear I needed the rest, I just took it easy for the rest of the day. Saturday I spent the day getting to know my host family more and even cooked dinner that night for their friends, showing of my Texas BBQing skills! Sunday I went to Dusseldorf, which unfortunately was kind of a let down. I think I just built the city up more in my head, but despite being on the barbarian side away from the Roman Empire, not much really to see there that was close enough to do in six hours. We went up into a tower and viewed the land from 168 meters up, saw a couple of old churches, walked through a decent sized park filled with water fowl, visited the Japanese part of town (the Japanese embassy is actually located in Dusseldorf), and watched the Porche race.

Overall, nothing exciting happened this weekend, which was perfectly ok with me. After an entire month of exciting, it was nice to wind down a little.

No comments: