Friday, July 15, 2005

What a first week!

This past week has been truly amazing. Germany has exceeded my expectations in so many ways, and that's fantastic, considering I had extremely high expectations for this trip in the first place.

Getting to know the rest of the students, Dr. Wasser, and the rest of the AIB staff has been fun. I'm looking forward to spending the next few weeks with you guys. Although....I STILL can't tell when Olaf is being scarcastic and when he's not. 8-)

My host mother, Heidi, has helped to introduce us to German culture. She's been cooking for us, sharing intersting facts, and helping us find our way around the city since the moment we arrived. I will admit to being a bit frightened at first, since one of the things she said to me the first night I arrived was, "Soon, we will speak ONLY German in this house. You will learn better that way." I'm quite sure that my eyes got very wide, until i realized she was only joking. (or was she.....?)

Although our excursions have been fascinating, I find that I am really enjoying other things as well. Watching people on the tram and in the city is one of my favorite things to do. I also love listening to our whole group hack and gag over German pronunciations! On a more serious note, I will never forget the feeling of sitting in class and having the opportunity to listen to a German explain the details of WW II and the Holocaust. It was an extremely emotional moment for me.

So far this trip, I've really surprised myself with how comfortable I feel in Europe. Apart from not knowing the language, the culture and general attitude of the Germans has made me feel completely comfortable.

No comments: