Monday, July 25, 2005

Americans

Before we came on this trip we were given so much information on what the typical American tourist looks and acts like and we have been trying so hard to not stand out. But no matter how hard we try we still do. On our way back from Paris this afternoon I was discussing this with Michelle. Americans are known throughout the world to be the loudest and Texans are even louder. On our train we were talking as a group and it didn't seem that loud. Michelle and Heather were sitting a few rows down from us and said that they could hear everything that we talked about clearly. But as I was sitting there I thought we were being relatively quite. Apparently the rumors are true :)

Another thing that I know that we have all had trouble with is the perception that all Americans are fake with our big smiles and constant eye contact. I've found it especially hard coming from a university that is so friendly where everyone says Howdy! to each person the pass on campas (Well, at least I always say howdy). Michelle did bring up a good point that what they see alot of the time is Hollywood with the beautiful homes on the outside and caos inside. Even I can admit that is fake. I've decided that it's just our optimistic nature and we'd rather pretend to be happy than be pesimistic all of the time.

Finally, I've been having a lot of discussion with my host family lately about the terrorist attacks on 9/11 and in London. My host mother Kerstin is British so it's been really interesting seeing her reactions to everything compared to how I reacted 4 years ago. When New York and D.C. were attacked the States shut down. People were sent home from school and from work. I stayed home from school the next day and and watched the news. We were devasted and we had and have every right to be. Americans are not used to being in the middle of war. Not since the Civil War and Pearl Harbor have we ever had to deal with being attacked on our own soil, so just that fact was devasting. Europeans handle it so differently. I hate to put it this way, but they are used to it. They are more prepared and know how to put themselves back together quickly. After London was attacked the tubes were running again within hours. I find that so amazing that they can be so strong.

No comments: