Friday, July 22, 2005

Rush rush rush (and my arm up a cow's rectum)

Well, this week has been exciting...especially since we are finally doing medicine-related stuff. It has also been a roller coaster of highs and lows.
My highlights from this week were (in no particular order):
1. playing with a German kint on the Rheintour (I love little kids!)
2. sticking my arm up a (pregnant) cow's rectum
3. sleeping on trains
4. going out for drinks
5. taking 'shortcuts' to get up to the Marksburg
6. good long conversations on the train rides :)

Some lowlights were:
1. Fainting in cardiac ICU and then missing out on the open heart surgery
2. Getting a bummer of a cold and sniffling my way through the Thursday and Friday
3. Having to pay for a taxi to get to the Hauptbahnhof in time because I overslept
4. Not getting tickets early enough to go somewhere this weekend
5. The smell in Bacharach (really, now, that town *stinks* on trash day!)

Today, Frau Pilartz talked to us about her personal experience of the era after WWII...and that was very very interesting. She basically told us the same thing as the professor who lectured to us, but it was an intimate look from her eyes and her feelings. All I can say is powerful, very powerful. This was aprpopo also since on Thursday we got to see the Haus du Gershishta (tut mit leid about the butchering of the German spelling). The history of Germany after the Third Reich is something that I have studied in less detail than the history leading up to and including WWII.

No comments: