Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Paris

If it is not clear now, Paris did not make a good first impression on the group. Luckily things improved and I think overall we all had a great time. Here's a list of the things I saw: Louve, Montmatre, Moulin Rouge, front of Sacre Coeur, "The Black Cat" restuarant, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, Panteon, The Tour de France, Musee d'Orsee and Eifel Tower at sunset. It was a very full but wonderful weekend.

I liked different things for different reasons. I loved seeing the Venus de Milo and Winged Victory in the Louve. It was also cool to see real Monet's and Rembrants and the crown jewels of France. I discovered I really like Monet. I would see a picture in a room and really like it and only afterwards realize it was done by Monet.

It was really cool to see the Moulin Rouge even though it was smaller than I expected. I also liked walking around Montmatre because it is the setting of the Moulin Rouge movie and it was cool to just walk around. We also had dinner there and it was wonderful. The french really have wonderful food. While I was at the Panteon I was able to go up to the top and got a wonderful view of Paris. Unfortunately it was cloudy but I could see the hill of Montmatre. I used our video camera and zoomed in like the beginning of the movie. Others saw it and were really impressed. I am convinced it was from up there that they got the scene for the movie. It was totally great to actually be there in person.

It was wonderful when we saw Notre Dame. Most people said they prefered the Dom in Koeln, but Heather, Matt and I were able to see Notre Dame working as a Cathedral. It was a cloudy day, and they were having Mass since we went on Sunday morning. They had Mass in the middle but tourists were able to go around the edges. I'm surprised they allowed it considering it was very distracting. The three of us couldn't bring ourselves to take pictures or anything like that. Some tourists were very disrespectful though. That wasn't nice. It was cool to be in there though. I was able to walk around by myself and meet the others at the exit. Since they were having the service we could smell the inscence (however you spell that), and a man and women were singing descant. It was beautiful. I could also see how they got the idea for the Hunchback because it was gloomy and they eyes could play tricks.

Saint Chapelle had beautiful stain glass windows. I thought it was interesting how the French Monarchs requested some current events to be put in the windows along with the Bible stories to represent the French Monarchs as continuing the line of the Biblical kings.

Seeing the Tour was fun. I originally did not want to go because I figured we wouldn't be able to see anything and it would just be crowded. Kathryn convinced me to go with her and I am glad she did. We were able to see Lance Armstrong and all the other riders. There were fewer riders than I expected but it was still great to do once. It was miserable because it would drissle, but it was worth it in the end.

I liked going to the Musee d'Orsee even though Kathryn and I basically ran through it. It confirmed for me that I like Money and Renoir, but I do not like Van Gogh. I feel very sophisticated knowing more about these famous artists. Kathryn also introduced me to Degas. He's not bad either. It was fun to be with Kathryn because she had taken an art history class so she knew much more than me about the art, but as she said, at least I appreciate the art even if I don't know much about it.

We finished our trip to Paris by most of the group going to the Eifel Tower and sitting in front of it during sun set. It was a very relaxing evening and I think everyone had a good time even though they were tired. We had a little wine, talked and enjoyed the tower lit up. It was also cool when it would sparkle on each hour.

Yesterday we went to the Bayer plant but unfortunately it was not what we had expected. It was not designed for pre-med pre-vet students. It was still interesting to see the plant though and how they are trying to save the environment. We then went to a horse breeding farm. I am allergic to horses so it was not my favorite trip but I am glad I went. The horses were attractive and their stables were very nice. It was interesting to at least see.

This weekend we are off to Amsterdam. I think that will be an interesting trip.

No comments: