Sunday, May 28, 2017

Time's flying by

It's been almost one week since we first got off the plane in Frankfurt. Wow. I knew my days would be packed with a full itinerary but I didn't expect time to fly by so fast. I've only been here one week so I'm by no means feeling like a local just yet. What I've learned this past week can be summed up in a few words: traveling isn't a piece of cake. Firstly, I live about twenty minutes outside the center of Bonn so it's a bit stressful in the morning if I miss my first bus. Secondly, a few of us went to Amsterdam this past weekend. Not sure if we thought it would be smooth sailing all the way but it most definitely wasn't. We got confused and missed our connection train both coming and going from Amsterdam; nevertheless, we made the most out of the negative outcome and turned it positive by relaxing in Cologne and started to get to know each other better.

When I started booking weekend trips, I didn't really think about going to Amsterdam. I'm so happy that my friends convinced me to go. It was honestly very different from what I thought it would be. It is a lot cleaner, the locals are so kind and hospitable, and the city is absolutely breathtaking. I love that there seem to be more people biking then walking. I love that every home/building is slightly different yet still so narrow and tall. Amsterdam has character and so much history that I was not even able to make a dent in. Thank you to the locals, fellow visitors, and my friends for making my first weekend trip one I will never forget.

I'm already feeling more at home in Bonn. My first week of classes are over and I have to say I'm in love with history of medicine. History has always been one of my favorite subjects (I actually thought about majoring in history). To combine history with medicine is in my opinion the perfect combination a class could be. I remembered Dr. Wasser said we should visit the Rijksmuseum and I am so happy we did. It's a beautiful building filled to the brim with history. It's time to rest from this weeks adventures and start dreaming about what's to come. Lets go to Vienna!

No comments: