Sunday, May 21, 2017

Pre-Departure Post

I can't believe it's finally time for me to leave for Germany. I have been waiting for this trip for months, but it didn't feel real until I started packing my bags and exchanging my dollars for euros. I have never been outside the United States before, which is one of the main reasons I decided to participate in a study abroad program. I have always wanted to visit Europe and see the rich, cultural sites. I feel very sheltered having never been outside the country I was born in, and I wanted to change that. I chose this program because I enjoy history and being able to learn about medicine and music where it all happened is an incredible opportunity. I'm expecting this trip to be better than simply learning in a classroom. I'm hoping to pick up some conversational German, since I currently only know how to say "hello" and "thank you". Being in a different country and hearing people speak a different language I don't understand is a very humbling experience. I am a little nervous about flying by myself. I've only flown by myself twice before and for much shorter distances. I'm excited and a little anxious to meet my host family. I'm looking forward to learning about them and discussing both German and American things. This trip is going to be incredible and I am very thankful to be here.

No comments: