Monday, May 29, 2017

Expections vs reality

When anticipating being in a foreign country, I was nervous about getting lost, pick pocketing and negative attitudes towards Americans. I am happy to say none of this has been an issue for me! Bonn has a very safe and home like feel to it. I was surprised how clean the streets and buildings are, also how much they recycle. Which is something I think the US could learn from! The people are one of the biggest surprises, they're so friendly! I was expecting attitudes because we cant speak the language but almost everyone speaks English. They also love when you attempt to speak the language. Navigating I'm still figuring out right now but its nice to have my roommate, Marissa, so I'm never alone. I never really worry about getting lost anymore because people are usually pretty helpful!
I was anticipating staying with a random family would be a little awkward and uncomfortable. But I already love my host family so much! They have 2 little girls who call Marissa and I "big sister", they are the sweetest! The parents are also very sweet and funny. They have really made us feel like family. They are truly interested in our culture and getting to know us. We are staying in their side apartment which is super convenient because we have our own little kitchen and we don't have to worry about ever wake the kids up. I'm loving everything so far! :)

No comments: