Sunday, May 28, 2017

One Down

It's been one week since we began our adventure to Europe and it has been quite a week. There are so many things that I have learned and gotten the chance to experience that I never even thought about before departing. I didn't realize how much practice it actually takes to get used to the public transportation system here in Germany, and I can say that I am far from a master in the art of getting on the right train/bus/tram/etc. I have also learned how useful the phrase "I'm sorry" in German is with all the mistakes and misunderstandings I have had between locals here. As well as how fun it is to say "Danke!" everywhere and to everyone. Here's a picture from our spontaneous castle excursion on a free holiday our first week:

There has definitely been a learning curve so far in my experience abroad. Whether it's missing a train headed to Amsterdam for the weekend or getting lost every time I venture somewhere new, it has still been a blast. I'm so thrilled to get an opportunity like this to be taking classes that I'm very interested in and getting to explore Europe at the same time, a place I have dreamed about going for as long as I can remember. So far this trek has been such an adventure. With each day that passes, I feel like I have become closer to so many people in the program with me. A big group of us were able to survive and have a blast in Amsterdam this weekend, even though there were some difficulties along the way. I have gotten the opportunity to get a little closer and more comfortable with my host family each day, and feel more at home than I did from the start. It still is going to take some getting used to, but I am hoping by the end of the program they will be like a second family to me.

Here are some pictures from Amsterdam!

I am so lucky that the two professors leading the program Dr. Wasser and Dr. Waltz have such a passion for the subjects they are teaching and have transferred that excitement and eagerness to learn to all of us students. I can't wait to visit the research facilities, hospitals, operas, and everything else that we have planned in the program and get to see what we are learning applied first hand.

This is the first of many more weeks to come and I can't wait to see what this place has for me next.

No comments: