Thursday, May 18, 2017

EINS

Hallo! 
Only THREE days left until I leave America for 5 weeks. I am beyond excited for this experience, and I still cannot believe it is real. I chose to study abroad in Germany mainly because I have heard nothing but amazing things about Europe from my dad who lived in France for two years in college and who has made it his life goal to live in Europe again. I have traveled to Europe before (Italy, France, and Britain) when I was in 4th grade, but I think living in Europe is a completely different experience.
I am excited for all of it: the good and the bad, I am so ready to try it all. If there is anything less convenient for me in Germany it will only add to the experience, allowing me to truly embrace  the culture. I am looking forward to living another lifestyle, and eventually learning to see the world from another angle. Maybe I will even leave Germany with new political, social, or spiritual beliefs. I am completely open to whatever changes may come my way.
The only concern I have is that I might somehow say or do something that rubs people the wrong way. I am not sure exactly what that could be, but I am hoping that if that happens they will let me know so I can learn how mannerisms might translate poorly in another culture. But hopefully I can learn before I make any mistakes! I am also worried that I will enjoy the culture and people there so much that I may not want to return to America!
Moreover, I am overwhelmed with excitement, and I am really looking forward to this life-changing experience.
Auf Wiedersehen, America!!

No comments: