Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Week one updates:
 How ever much I thought I had prepared for this trip mentally, spiritually, and especially financially, it was not enough. Bonn has been the best reprieve from the craziness that was Paris and especially Barcelona. Coming into this I had no idea what the school work was gonna be like but have come to find that it is actually really interesting. Two days of classes down and so far we have covered the different health care systems across the EU whilst compare and contrasting them to ours back in the states. Essentially the best way to describe it is our system being a conglomeration of those that came before us. Yesterday we learned about the actual history of medicine, from shamans dating back to Neanderthals to the Greek's holistic point of view all the way up to plague doctors and their very scary outfits. This last spring I took an entomology course back in college station and found it to be very useful to reference during lectures here when a lot of what it was was reference to certain diseases and plagues that have affected the world. 
The city of Bonn has been the most pleasant surprise thus far.  While in Paris I was spending on average 15 Euros per meal, the first meal that I had here was a 3 euro donor that filled me up on the spot. Last night we went into the park for 3-4 hours and listened to Carlos Santana play for us as we made fools of ourselves trying to kick a soccer ball around. The other day we did a 27 mile bike ride down the Rhine to a little town called Remagen which is infamous for having the only bridge left standing across the Rhine during WWII. That is something that I have really come to enjoy to, the era of the third Reich and WWII. Well considering I have German class tomorrow morning bright and early, I believe it is time for me to sign out. 

Until next time, Chris

No comments: