Sunday, July 21, 2013

Second Weekend

     Hallo! It has been a good weekend in Munich.  Messing with the trains was a hassle though.  A twenty minute layover in the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof turned into an hour of chaos.  First our train train was delayed by 110 minutes.  Then it was cancelled.  One of the officials told us to take another train, but then we found out that one was also canceled.  I was in line to talk to the official again when Jacob came running in telling me our train was leaving.  We sprinted through the hauptbahnhof with all of our luggage and luckily made it to the train.
     Our roommate in the hostel is also a Texan.  He's from Houston and is going to school at Berkeley.  He's is really nice and has been going out with us every night.  Although on Saturday night, we probably walked about five miles looking for something to do when we finally decided to go back to the hostel.
     During the day on Saturday, we walked through Munich toward the city center.  The buildings are so beautiful.  We went through one church with some really cool structures and paintings.  In their basement there was an alter in front of a really old painting that depicted the events that took place starting Ash Wednesday and ending on Easter.  The artist had sort of a creepy style of painting, yet the painting was beautiful.  I love all the art in the churches I have seen here.  The paintings, statues, and stained glass all share a stories.  I can always point out Jesus and Mary in the art, but there are other figures that I would like to talk about with the artist.  I want to know the symbolism behind their actions in the picture.
     After going to the church, we went to the Deutsch Museum, the largest science and technology museum in the world.  Even though I knew it was the largest in the world, I still underestimated the size.  I spent an hour looking at nautical technology and the evolution of boating.  The next hour, I had to race through the aviation section and then the light technology.  I feel like I only saw a tenth of what the museum has to offer.  I have to go back.  I missed the musical instruments section and many many more interesting things I wanted to see.
     We had dinner at the Hofbrauhause, and had a nice Bavarian meal.  I really want to buy some liederhosen but it's so expensive.  We actually went to the Hofbrauhouse twice that night.
     On Sunday, we went to the BMW museum, the olympia park, and a really cool park with a cool river running through it.  I loved all of them.  My next big purchase is going to be a BMW motorcycle, the olympia park made me want to start swimming again, and the park was just so beautiful minus the fully naked guy.  We finished off Sunday with good ol' KFC! 
     We're off to Vienna in the morning, and I'm extremely excited to learn about Freud and see all the other cool things we are going to go see. Auf Wiedersehen!

     

No comments: