Monday, July 08, 2013

Pre-Departure Thoughts

Even with all of the planning and pondering I've done, I still can't believe that in a little more than two days we will be five thousand miles and worlds away from College Station, Texas. When I first left Austin for this little town on the Brazos three years ago I thought it could never compare to the wonderful city I was so blessed to call home, but after just a short time it grew on me and I have come to love our little college town. I can remember sitting at fish camp listening to someone speak on their study abroad experience in Italy, saying "We are so excited that you are here- now we want you to go away!" I thought certainly not, I've finally settled into this new place and I will just stay put. But you can only pass up so many opportunities. When the study abroad bug got to me, first it was just a week in Costa Rica but with vet school fast approaching I figured go big or go home.

I chose this particular study abroad experience originally because my best friend Alexis couldn't stop talking about the incredible adventures she had in Germany on her study abroad trip. Furthermore, I have a great love of music, art,  photography, and architecture, especially the great cathedrals. I love exploring new horizons, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures. As a biomedical sciences major with a business minor, my classes aren't set up for my inner artist and travel guru. What better place to experience new experiences than Germany.

I have never been to Europe, and I am not sure what to expect. I am hoping to grow as a person on this new adventure-to learn a little German, experience a little history, explore some new places. I am nervous about leaving my horses, friends, job, and the familiarity of College Station behind. On the flip side, I am excited to meet my host family and get to know everyone in our group better. Now that I have everything packed and ready for departure, I can't wait to hop on that plane and get this adventure under way! See y'all soon!

No comments: