Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Germany Pre-program Post

        So, I am heading to Germany in 5 days. A month ago when I signed up for this program I never would had even dreamed of seeing my "ancestral homeland" until I was the age of 30 or desperately needing an exotic vacation after college. So I am extremely happy and interested in this trip. This is my first real vacation (though I understand I will be taking courses) in what must be 5 years, since I was 13 years old.
        To prepare for this trip, I am rehearsing my German and Spanish that I have learned in my past (far better at Spanish though). I have purchased new luggage and who knew that the company Jeep even made luggage! Also, I have been in fluent contact with my German friend in Hamburg who will be very happy to see me again when I go and visit.
         So why did I choose this program. To be honest, I received an email saying "EVERYBODY, join in on this study abroad because people dropped out!" So, I read the email and saw Germany and Scholarship in the same sentence and applied. That was good enough for me! Once I had gotten approved and read further I realized how fun this program really would be. I get to go to the place my ancestors were from (a big ordeal for me) and get to learn about the History of Medicine. On a funny note, I originally thought this was a veterinarian course for some reason which is far less interesting to me and when I realized before I accepted the program that it was not, my excitement skyrocketed.
      Lastly, what do I expect? Lets start with the most important, the first thing I need to do on the first weekend is find a  Schultüte in hamburg! This is a tradition I was deprived of and want to own one. Basically for those who have no clue what a  Schultüte is, a  Schultüte is an open cone in which (usually parents) place large quantities of candy, toys, and even school supplies in to give to a student on his/her first day of school. My German friend even received 2 as she moved into upper level schools! Secondly, I expect to see the U-boat pens in hamburg and the dry dock where the Bismark was built and christened in Hamburg. On a more general note, I essentially wish to grow closer to my German heritage and understand new peoples and their ideals from across the globe, preferably while sipping on a glass of vodka or beer enjoying Germany's lower drinking age!      Best wishes to all, Kesler Brock

No comments: