Monday, July 22, 2013

After the Munich Weekend


Last night we all broke down and had KFC for dinner and it was delicious. I feel a little guilty about eating American food but it really hit the spot. A group of us went to Munich this weekend and we had a great time. We saw a lot in Munich but some of my favorite things were the Deutsches Museum, the 1972 Olympic grounds, the Englischer Garten, and the famous Hoffbrauhaus.  The Deutches museum was the world’s largest collection of science and technology and it was really interesting and huge too. There are thousands of pieces in the museum so I only saw a fraction of the exhibits. The best exhibit was an electricity display. A man went up inside a Faraday Cage and the cage was shocked with 210,000 volts leaving the man safe inside. Then I saw an exhibit on engines. It had everything from very early steam engines that are the size of a truck and only produces 1 to 2 horsepower, to advanced jet engines producing thousands of pounds of thrust. Everything was very interesting; I probably could have spent an entire day in there viewing the pieces. The Olympic stadium was also really cool. I really liked the architecture of the stadium. The roof looked like a giant plastic sheet being hung up by strings and the landscaping around the stadium was also really pretty. The Elglischer Garten was really pretty and gigantic. It is twice the size of Central Park in New York. I really liked going to the park to relax and leave the fast pace of the big city for a little bit. After walking around the museum on Saturday, we went to the famous Hoffbrauhaus and got the giant one-liter mugs of beer. Luckily the beer was good or that one-liter would have been hard to put back.
            The day-trip to Cologne on Thursday was fantastic. The tour of the city was really cool and I thought the moonies, the statues on the outside of buildings that moon the people below, were really funny. Then we took a roof-top tour of the Cologne cathedral was amazing. The cathedral is so big that it’s hard to imagine that people were able to build it using centuries old technology. Every little bit of the cathedral had some small, special detail to it, and I feel like it would take a year to learn the meaning and history behind everything I the cathedral.
            Now I am in Vienna getting ready to go on a tour of the catacombs, which I am really looking forward to. I will blog again soon. Tschuss!
            

No comments: