Monday, July 08, 2013

Auf Wiedersehen Amerika, Hallo Deutschland!!!

Tomorrow is the big day. Tomorrow is the day I've been excited about for many months! TOMORROW is the day I leave the land stretching from the Pacific to the Atlantic and embark on a five week adventure in Germany and the surrounding European countries!!!! As I sit behind my laptop in the safe confines of my home watching Monday Night Baseball on ESPN, the excitement of what awaits for me upon my arrival in Deutschland is starting to become overwhelming. I can start to envision the Rhine river, the university in Bonn, the never-ending weiner schnitzel, the sauerkraut and of course the massive glasses filled with German beer! The only obstacles left in between me and this paradise is a two hour drive to DFW and a ten hour flight to Frankfurt.
As a Pre-med student and biomedical engineer, I look forward to the academic aspect of the study abroad just as much as I do for our free weekends in the different parts of Germany, Amsterdam and Rome! I'm ecstatic to learn more about Germany's health system as the United States healthcare system is undergoing its' own reformation. I chose this particular study abroad program for three reasons: the program is based in Germany where a some of my ancestors are from, the program is titled History of Medicine and I think every doctor needs to be exposed to the methods and procedures of medical practice in past centuries, and finally for the central location and ease of access to most of Europe from Germany!

This is all I can think of blogging about for now, but there will be plenty more to come as I document this five week adventure! Before I publish the post so I can go finish packing, I will leave you with what I've been thinking of for many months: auf wiedersehen Amerika, hallo Deutschland!!

No comments: