Monday, July 15, 2013

Hallo!

     Germany is the coolest place on earth! It is so beautiful, and the weather is so nice. I was extremely tired the first day since I made the stupid decision to stay up the whole plane ride and play Zelda, but I slept for 12 hours that night and I woke up refreshed and ready to go. My host family is really nice. I became really good friends with my host brother who doesn't live at home anymore, but we still hang out. The food had been really good as well. I haven't had sauerkraut yet, but I had some jägerwurst, and it was delicious along with many other treats. I feel illiterate, but that is because I am. I don't know any German, and when I try to speak German, people just respond in English.
     The first class day, we learned about the different healthcare systems around the world and the pros and cons of each.  It was really interesting.  I will be buying my own health insurance pretty soon, but I might just move to Germany instead.
     This past weekend, AIB had a couple activities planned for us.  We had a welcome party, we saw fireworks in Cologne, and we took a million mile long bike ride along the Rhein River.  I could live here in the summers.  It has been tons of fun going out with friends, learning German, and talking to the locals.  I'm really looking forward to the rest of the trip.
     Walking out of the bus station of Cologne, the first thing you see is the massive cathedral.  I have never seen anything so big yet so detailed in my life.  We walked around for about thirty minutes, and I have so many questions about it.  I can't wait for our tour on Thursday.
     While biking along the Rhein, I remembered that I had once thought places like this only existed in Hollywood.  We looked over the Rhein and up to the green mountains with vineyards and castles while sitting in the grass having our picnic in a park.  The world felt calm and still.

No comments: