Thursday, July 18, 2013

Let the classes begin!


My parents didn't really believe me when I tried to explain that studying abroad actually involves, we'll, studying. They seem to think I'm on a six week vacation. But after over a week in Bonn, I can definitely verify that there is indeed a lot of learning taking place. 

I think the most exciting aspect of our class here, the History of Medicine, is that I'm learning about things that I didn't even realize I didn't know. I've discovered how embarrassingly little I know about our own health care system, much less those systems established around the world.

Learning about the very early history of man was also very interesting. I had no idea that domesticating animals would wreck such havoc on the state of human health. But I guess that most things have their pros and cons, and it seems if we want hamburgers, we're getting smallpox too. It's hard to put yourself I the shoes of early physicians. Some of their practices seem insane, but I think I take for granted sometimes the immense amount of knowledge that has been discovered before my time. Early physicians did not have access to any of that. 

I believe I would have fallen into the methodic school. It seems much safer and humane, whereas the Hippocratic school seems a little more barbaric. However, times are different now and it's hard to put myself in their shoes so I really am not sure. I found it interesting that so many doctors were afraid to challenge some of Galen's claims, even though there was obvious evidence that he was wrong. I do like that he emphasized a good bedside manner, which I think is vital. 

I had heard about Nazi euthanasia programs before, but I had no idea the extent of them. It's very eerie to think of the possibility of life having a negative value. I just don't like the sound of that. But, one thing I hadn't even realized, is that the world I have grown up inks vastly different from that of people who lived through WWI. So while I can't say I understand their thinking, I do at least understand why it is so different. The Nazi propaganda to promote support for these programs was unsettling. It's just hard for me to understand what they are thinking. I've thoroughly enjoyed the first few lectures of the program, and I am excited to learn even more!

No comments: