Monday, July 15, 2013

First Week


We've been in Germany for almost a week now! I don't really know how I feel about that. On one hand, it seems everything is moving so fast, that time is flying by. Yet on the other, I feel so comfortable here I can't believe it has only been a few days since our plane landed. I was expecting to be blown away by the scenery but I still seemed to have underestimated it. Everything is so green and lovely. And the history is evident in the architecture. Very different than Texas. 

My host family is absolutely wonderful. It's just me, my mom, and sister (she's 21). They have been very friendly and helpful. We also have a dog, named Mali, who is a total sweetheart. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the activities so far. Wednesday, I had dinner with my host family, after a long day of travel. Thursday, we had our welcome meeting and went on a tour of the city, which included 0,50 € pizza! Friday, we got up early to explore Bonn, specifically the beautiful cathedral.We also had class for the first time. While class was really interesting, it also made me realize how ignorant I am. It seems like there are some ways that the American system of health care can be improved, but actually implementing those changes could be very difficult. Saturday, we went to a German baseball game and then to Cologne, for Kölner Lichter. Sunday, we went on the bike tour. The scenery was great but I was relieved to take the train back to Bonn. Then I had dinner with my host family and a few of their friends. 

Overall, Germany has been incredible so far. I love the system of public transportation, which makes it very convenient to get around. Everyone I've met has been friendly and helpful. I'm really looking forward to learning more German and just spending more time here!

No comments: