Thursday, July 18, 2013

Ich spreche kein deutsch

     I just finished watching a soccer game with my host family, and I'm recognizing words and phrases both the announcers and my host parents are saying.  Ich lerne Deutsch!  German class with Hilde has been very enjoyable to me.  I actually love how she asks questions and speaks in German.  It makes you think, and I feel that in the long run, it is a best way to learn.  German words are hard to say though.  I often find my tongue in knots while trying to speak.
     Along with German, we have been studying the history of medicine.  It is mind-blowing to think about the philosophy of medicine, and the advancements we have made in just the last hundred years.  More specifically, the Nazi Party, World War II, and the Holocaust have been of particular interest to me.  It is crazy to think that Olivia and the student workers all have grandparents that lived in Germany during the war and parents that grew up with the Berlin Wall.  The shame that German families have from that time period doesn't go away in a generation, and like Dr. Wasser has told us, might never go away.  On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have Americans that have great pride toward the Berlin Airlift.  Even those, like me, who were born after the wall was torn down.
     On another note, I am loving German (and Turkish) food.  I had sausages with an odd yet delicious potato salad tonight for dinner, and yesterday, I had roulade, which was beef stuffed with onions and potatoes all covered in a beer sauce.  Along with those tasty meals, I have had doner probably eight times since arriving in Bonn.  We spoke of opening a doner and gelato shop on northgate.
     I do miss being able to drive where I want and when I want, but on the other hand, I love how everyone walks everywhere.  The air smells much cleaner, and the city is extremely beautiful.  I have missed my fair share of buses though.
    Some other things we have done is tour old town and Cologne.  The cathedral is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  The immense detail and size is astounding, and I could talk about it for forever, but I think that is enough for now.  Bis bald!

No comments: