Sunday, July 14, 2013

First Week in Deutschland!

So, we did it! We survived the first days in Bonn without any injury or very many people getting lost! 

      So, First of all let’s start with during the week activities. This week was a handful. In fact, I write this with my head lying on my arm as so not to waist the energy to lift it. Let’s start with Wednesday, frankly if I could describe this day all I could use is the word "LONG". I was very excited arriving in Bonn and I tried to stay awake the entire trip on the bus so I would not miss the legendary German countryside. Needless to say I failed at that attempt. The bus ride was long and hard. I saw the 100 km/hr. sign and wished that meant 100 MPH. To top it off I then had to pick myself up from that and act jovial for my new family to some avail. Thursday we got our first glimpse of the great city of Bonn. This was mainly an administrative day but it finished with 50 cent pizza, a tour from Olivia and a trip to the beer garden where I had my first beer "Pils". Friday we got our first taste of class in Germany. I have to say that I really like the Bismarck model of healthcare and hope to take that with me into office. I will have to say the other models were a bit bland and uninviting. However, when we split for lunch I explored the university and found lunch at an ice cream shop called "la dolce" I believe. My favorite part of the school day was the historical city tour by Mr. Zack. He was very funny and informative. When he asked for questions everyone was silent. He answered everything you could ever ask just in his original speech. Finally we topped off the day with a party at Old AIB where I made many new friends. I even met a new econ major who works for AIB; he was very fun converse with about economic topics. This weekend I skipped the fireworks and went on the 26km bikeride................................................................................. It was long..... When we got there I was ready to hop on the train to go back to get free water at home. If there are two things I have learned in Germany, 1. Never pay for the bathroom, 2. Never pay for water! Best of wishes to all.... now I think I am going to enjoy a nice long sleep. 

No comments: