Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week 2-Part 1


Our time here is flying by very quickly. We started class last week learning about different health systems from around the world. I am glad we could become a little more informed on an issue that affects all of us in some way or another. I have been enjoying our lectures on the history of medicine so far this week. Being a biomedical sciences major doesn’t allow a lot of time for history classes, and I think it’s important to know where our profession came from. The history of medicine is a fascinating subject, and my inner nerd is enjoying our lectures with Dr. Wasser. We also have started German classes. I struggle quite a bit with the different pronunciations and remembering what we have already learned. During the trip and when we return to the U.S. I am definitely going to practice my German speaking abilities.

Besides class on Friday, we attended the welcome party. It was fun to talk to a few of the other groups that are also here with the AIB. The food, music, and atmosphere were great and afterwards we had the opportunity to explore the local nightlife. On Saturday we grabbed some burgers (which were surprisingly delicious) and headed to Cologne. There was quite a large crowd there to watch the fireworks. I was very impressed by the fireworks display and could see why so many people were there to see the show. Sunday we went on a bike ride down the Rhine to Remagen. The weather was lovely and it was great to spend time picnicking with the whole group at the end of the bike ride. I was very, very glad to finally find some Dr. Pepper. I am looking forward to the rest of the activities planned for this week and weekend! 

No comments: