Sunday, July 21, 2013

2nd Week DOWN!

Well, we completed our second week in Bonn! To be honest, this week has been a bit "lecture-like" mostly. Looking at the schedule it really seems that this week was meant to place the groundwork for the excursions that we will be taking so frequently. It is also amazing that we started taking German Classes on Monday and now I can use practical German when ordering or asking for something. It sure did make that Blaubeere Muffin taste oh so much better!
      So for a run down of what we did academically this week. First we started off the week firmly in our lectures. At 10:15 we showed up for what I have to say was the longest day ever! we went though 4 lectures! 2 of German and 2 of HOM. Obviously not my favorite day. On a positive note, on this day I did on lunch break discover a wonderful cafe down the street with delicious vegetarian options. Also the shop owners are very nice and speak English very well.
       Tuesday we had 3 lectures. 1 of German and 2 of HOM. However the most interesting thing we did this day was go the the Haus of History and see the General Exhibit. One of the peak points of this for me was the Chairs that Dr. Wasser had us Sit in. These chairs were from I believe the Parliament (or something in Nuremberg). I just found it so amazing that I was sitting in a chair that the equivalent that a congressman would sit in to work very regularly. I felt honored.
      Wednesday, we had 3 lectures but also were able to go see the Beethoven Birthplace. This place was extremely hot but very interesting to learn about. The high points of this for me were the low doors...(I swear I hit every single low ceiling or door in that place) and just the overall history of the house. Just think, back at his birth no one knew that this man would grow up and change the world completely. Also, we went to the altstadt witch was interesting but rather uneventful except the free Ratler!

       Thursday, we got to go see Koln! When I got there the cathedral stole my eyes! It was so big and ornate. I had never seen anything like it in my life. Frankly the cathedral was enough for me for the entire trip to cologne but we got to see a lot more! We first got a general tour of cologne. Followed by a tour of the Elde house which was a former Gestapo headquarters and lastly we got to go on what was a very in depth tour of the cathedral.
      Finally Friday! On Friday we had our last German Lectures and had our pre departure meeting. I liked the money they gave us!
Overall this week was a lot of fun. I could not have done it any better that I did.

No comments: