Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Week 1


The first several days for me were about getting to know my way around town, figuring the proper waste receptacle for the garbage, and learning more about my host family and what they expected from me. The getting around town part is proving to be much more difficult that I expected. Every German I talk to speaks of Bonn like its tiny, however I am finding that it seems like the size of New York City to a foreigner.
            My host family has been absolutely great so far. My host mother Nicos has been very nice to me and it doesn’t hurt that her cooking is excellent! She even asked me for my laundry so she could wash it which is something that I have missed dearly since leaving home and going to college.
            Saturday we went to a festival in Koln that was a lot of fun. There was food, dancing, fireworks, people, people, and more people. I could not believe how many came and lined the river on both sides to watch the fireworks.
            Sunday we biked down the Rhine to Remagen and had a beautiful picnic with the group. The path down the river was really cool and on the way back we took several pictures including several of the castle on Dragon’s Rock that was magnificent and definitely going to be a place several of us visit during our stay in Bonn.
            This first week has been an awesome experience and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the trip has in store.

No comments: