Monday, July 29, 2013

Pro-Prague

Finishing up my second free weekend needless to say, I am tired. This last weekend my group and myself decided to go and visit Prague in the Czech Republic. To be honest I was not too excited about this trip after having finishing up an unforgettable weekend in Interlaken and a life changing experience in Vienna both being polar opposites yet equally as exciting though I would have to say that I have enjoyed Interlaken the most because of the peaceful quiet escape that it provided me after having traveled to all these different bustling cities. I guess that I prefer the sedentary life style that I lead in Texas compared to the feeling of being towered in and caged up in a small apartment in the middle of the city. One thing that I will say that I miss is having a front yard and back yard with some privacy. Here it just seems as everything is on top of each other. 
Back to my trip to Prague. As I had mentioned earlier I had very little expectations going into this trip and thought I would have been bored with nothing to do, to say the least I was gravely mistaken. Prague turned out to be a bustling city with a million different sights to see and a million different winding streets to get lost in, especially in the old town district. The hostel that we stayed in could not have had better location being a hop skip and a jump away from the world renowned St. Charles Bridge. When thinking of the lay out of the city, St. Charles could be considered the apex upon which everything was located. Where ever I dinned myself I always have the urge to see as many sights I can in any particular city. Some of my favorite places were the palace upon the hill which had dozens of different displays and scores of things to keep yourself entertained doing. The palace proper surrounded what I would consider through my brief travels, my third favorite church right behind the dome of Koln and Notre Dam in Paris. The palace also offered the best rooftop view of Prague which quite literally took my breath away. From there we hiked to the local monastery where the monks who used to live there centuries ago made a brewery and drank what I considered to be my favorite beer since being in Europe and maybe ever considering I have not been 21 but for the past 4 months, two of which were spent at camp where any alcohol was breaking contract. Whilst everyone else was winding down from having walked miles upon miles I trekked on and got to experience a host of new and exciting things in the city. I saw the astronomical clock that people waited around endlessly to go off came 20:00, I visited the National Muesum, I saw the infamous Dancing house, I visited a host of theaters some of which used to host performers such as Mozart and Schumbert, and I hate to admit this but I got some really good shopping in. Im especially proud of this one thing that I bought for my room mate Ben. Ben is an english major who loves books and music, specifically the piano. While endlessly wandering the streets of Prague I came across this antique book store and was lucky enough to find music composition books with famous composers and pianist sheet music dating from the 1900's to the 1920's. And then for my less intellectual room mate Jon I bought a Czech bottle of vodka… 
Prague had a boundless number of experiences to offer that I could not hope to explore in the mere two days that I had there, but those two days were unforgettable to say the least. One experience I am glad to say I missed out on was being victim to pick pocketing like two of the people from the sports management group. I will say though that one of the most unfortunate things on the trip was having to use Czech money, whenever I use a foreign currency as such I wrongly treat it as monopoly money that had no value and is fake, especially when the conversion rate is 1:17.85. Prague is a city that I plan on visiting again some time in my future if I had my druders and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants some good ol fashioned adventure.

Chris

No comments: