Monday, July 15, 2013

Week 1


It’s only been a couple days and I feel like I’ve already experienced so much here in Bonn. Life with my host family has begun to feel more comfortable as I have started getting into a routine with them; I have the bus system figured out and feel like I have gone through the initial cultural shock.  I was a little apprehensive before our first official day in the program but it couldn’t have gone better. We had our introductory meeting followed by my new go-to lunch of 50-cent pizza and a tour of the city. In the afternoon I had my first Kolsch at the beautiful biergarten on the Rhine and we spent the night “exploring” (getting lost) walking around the city. Friday was our first day of class and I found Dr. Wasser’s lecture really interesting. I have always been insecure in my knowledge of the healthcare system in America and still know that there is a lot that I don’t know about it, but it was nice to have an overview of other healthcare models then see how they are integrated into the US model. It is a hot issue and will continue to be, so I would like to be as informed as possible. The weekend was nice as I spent my time in Cologne on Saturday walking around and watching the Kolner Lichter. Sunday’s 42-kilometer bike ride was an adventure to say the least but the scenery was beautiful and the weather was really nice.
As I go into this week I am excited to start German classes as well as visit Cologne again and tour the cathedral and the Gestapo prison. As I look around this beautiful city, I can’t quite wrap my mind around the history that has happened here. I am so thankful for this opportunity to study abroad already and I still have so much time left!

No comments: