Saturday, August 01, 2009

I Don't Have to Imagine Anymore


28-7-09
Most midevil castles are laid in ruins. Foundations and programs do their best to restore them to their once magnificent spelendor but still fall short. Even if they can get a couple walls back up their usually is not any furniture. You just walk in rubble as you read signs of what they speculate was once here.

This is not the case for the Marksburg Castle. Since it was not in a strategically important spot, anyone attacking Germany or the German states would leave this castle alone thus allowing it
and all that was inside it to survive! Up till this point all we had to go off of was what was in the movies which of course are not going for historical accuracy. You always see large luxorious beds for the lords of the house to sleep in, but we saw that this was not the case. A two person bed was maybe just a little wider than the twin sized bed I am sleeping in at my host house and about a foot or two shorter!


I really enjoyed getting to see what everything actually looked like back in those days. It made the times come alive for me. I did not have to imagine what it was like because it was right there in front of me. Even though seeing how things really were back then took away some of its glamor and showed me how dirty it really was, I am glad I got to see Marksburg Castle. I found it to be a unique and enlightening experience!
Until we meet agian!
Stephanie

No comments: