Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Begining to know Berlin

We arrived in Berlin on Monday. My expectations are pretty high after hearing Wasser claim how this city is incredible starting at day one of this trip. We get off the train and go to our hotel. So far I am not impressed. Afterwards we all go on a bike tour of the city. At first I thought Berlin was gross and depressing. I think the bad weather had a lot to do with that feeling. As we continued to ride the sky cleared up and the sun started to shine. Our tour guide led us to some beautiful areas and also explained the history. I love how Berlin has a lot of history and respects it! The bike ride was a great way to meet the city.
Yesterday was interesting. I really enjoyed seeing some of the new technology they are working on at the center in East Berlin. The one with the three dimensional video might be one of the coolest devices I've seen. It seems like it would be such a wonderful tool in finding and removing the entire tumor. The MRI was also impressive. I can't believe they had a 7T MRI! My old professor talked about how amazing those were all the time! It was fun getting close to the machine and feeling the power of the magnet. Afterwards we went to the Otto Bock "embassy" center for science. That exibit was incredible. I had so much fun going around and trying all the different machines. I wish we had more time to really learn what we were doing but it was still a ton of fun and a great experience.
At night last night a few of us went to a local jazz bar. The band was amazing. I loved the music and was drawn in by watching the passion on their faces. I was so glad that we went and I even bought a cd. We talked to the guys for a few moments after they were done and they ended up being really cool guys!

No comments: